Re: [MedievalSawdust] drilling jig with eccentric cam

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
      When I bought my drill press (table top) a couple of years ago, I thought that it would save time. Then I spent 2 or 3 days making jigs to help me drill consistantly. I understand the concept behind the cam system on this jig.....but let me ask - are you going to be drilling a number (10? 20? 50?) of identical parts in succession? A jig is useful for drilling a large number of holes (or cutting on a table saw) that are all identical. For instance, when making the "X" seats I am drilling 70+- holes in this spot and another 70+- here and they all have to be in the same place so that they align. My jigs (none of them) have cams. First off, I would question whether those cams would lock in place without being spring-loaded. Secondly, why would they need to lock?

      You are no doubt familiar with the Three Inch Rule and the Twelve Inch Rule....a) keep your body parts at least 3" from the moving parts of any power tool and b) if your wood is less than 12" long, should you use a power tool? There are a couple of tools where the 3" rule (IMHO) is safe to violate....if you use caution. One of those tools is the electric sander - I can't always keep my fingers at the minimum distance of 3", but I've never been injured by sandpaper. I sure that it's possible. The table saw, on the other hand, may remove either hand if you aren't careful. The drill press is another place where I frequently violate the 3" rule because there are times when I hold the wood with my hands and my fingers are much closer than 3" from the bit. The router is a different story. Router and table saw jigs need a locking device for the work because you are dealing with high speeds and pressure against the blade. I question the use of a locking device for a drill press because the work is not under the bit that long and the work is between the bit and the table - the only "pushing" is against the table. You may find that you are spending more time locking the work into position than actually drilling.

      It is, at worst, a clever system for creating pressure and would help prevent kickback from either a table router or table saw. Used in conjunction with feather boards, I can see them being very useful.

      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
      let me try that link again....

      http://s147. photobucket. com/albums/ r295/ConalOhAirt /?action= view&current=fauldstoold rillingjigidea. gif

      sorry....

      .

      RdA
      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public offiials." George Mason
      "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe." Noah Webster

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
        yeah I'm drilling a LOT of holes making X number of folding stools.
        32 holes per stool..... maybe as many as 8 to 10 stools this time.

        I found that last time simple variations in the grain of the wood
        would tend to have the drill bit drift off target if I was holding the
        wood by hand. ( the main purpose for this jig is for oak fauldstools )
        and if that happens the seat slats do not line up as well

        I got bored yesterday and made it anyway without waiting for advice.
        ( just to see what I'd get... )

        It holds very firmly... surprisingly so for how easy it is to clamp pieces
        in it.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
            I'll take a picture later today and throw it up here......

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
              Another option that I have had success with when constructing "X chairs" is to rough cut the pieces, drill one set of holes on each piece, then use the dowels that I plan to join them to connect the pieces to drill the remaining holes.  This method proves to give equal spacing on all pieces.  During the finishing phase (sanding or planing) I connect the same pieces with the dowels.  The end result is nicely aligned members which are extremely important for x or scissor chairs.  Plan on spending allot of time at the drill press but it's worth it.

              Lagerstein