Some rather unusual helms for sale (yes they are wood)

  • Ralph Lindberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2008
      As people out there know that I like to play with turning wood, the
      reality is I'm not really good. But I do hang out with a few <b>World
      Class</b> wood turners, and by World Class, I mean just that, they are
      known world wide for their skills and artistry.

      A few weeks ago I was visiting one, when I saw the these helms sitting
      in his shop

      They have be viewed at
      http://pics.livejournal.com/hrollaug/pic/00043f2p.jpg
      http://pics.livejournal.com/hrollaug/pic/00044qca.jpg

      To put some scale to them, they are between 6-1/2 and 7 (15 cm) inches
      in diameter (and slightly oval) and they roughly 10-1/2 inches tall
      (28 cm), plus the height of the stand. So they are smaller then a real
      helm (and much smaller then a padded out helm).

      BUT

      Each one is made from single piece of Big Leaf Maple, and as you might
      be able to tell from the photos' the wood is highly figured (uneven
      grain pattern, showing color differences.)

      They were made on a wood lathe, turned round, then hollowed out. The
      eye-slits and breathing holes were pierced. He did all the brass work
      and made the rivet heads. I say heads because the rivets do not go all
      the way through the wood.

      These are really art pieces and should be considered as such.

      Dave did not mention a price, other then "probably under $1000, each".
      If you are interested contact Dave Schweitzer at davelu-at-hctc.com
      (replace the -at- with @)

      TTFN
      Ralg