Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: food safe wood

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2008
      i would say a well scraped oak.

      this one seems oak to me, i could be wrong.
      http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/atapantiques/items/827071/item827071cyberattic.html

      this one says birch.
      http://www.saunalahti.fi/~marian1/gourmet/cheesefr.htm

      this site suggests maple
      http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/cheesepress.html

      it also suggests mineral oil.... id use grapeseed myself.

      also, you mostly just use a press, then wrap and age, right? so its
      not going to be in constant contact for transferring flavor over time.

      On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Eric <ewdysar@...> wrote:
      > I've read that clear grain (spar grade) spruce was often used for
      > butter molds. I think that the presses or molds develop a patina from
      > the fats in the cheese or milk and become more non-stick over time.
      >
      > Eirikr
      >
      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <maf@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I'm working on a cheese press in maple. I'd like to make some cheese
      > molds to go with it, but I'm finding references to that they were made
      > of wood but no specific wood varieties. Does anyone have any good
      > suggestions for a wood that will not impart flavours and will be easy
      > to keep clean?
      >>

      >> Mark

    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2008
        You might try doing a <search> for Cheesmaking Supplies for ideas. I have done so in the past and found several good sources for such things, though their molds run from plastic to stainless steel. Of course.....hard maple does come to mind, but it gets expensive.

        maf@... wrote:
        I'm working on a cheese press in maple. I'd like to make some cheese molds to go with it, but I'm finding references to that they were made of wood but no specific wood varieties. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a wood that will not impart flavours and will be easy to keep clean?

        Mark
        .

        RdA
        "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public offiials." George Mason
        "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe." Noah Webster