Re: [medievalsawdust] Kungsara Bench

  • Mikhalis@juno.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
      I'll try posting it. This bench is very heavily carved with winged dragon knotwork motif. Really impressive looking, dated around 1100AD.
      Thanks,
      Mikhalis

      On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:58:06 -0700 (PDT) Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> writes:

      --- allmustfade <Mikhalis@...> wrote:
      > Would any of you learned fellows know where I could find photographs
      > or drawings of the Kungsara Viking bench in Vastmanland Scandinavia?
      > I have one pic of it in the book "History of Furniture" but all my
      > searching on the web has lead nowhere.

      Can you post the picture?  I know of a Viking bench in Mobel Europas,
      but not sure if it's the same one.

      Ulrich

    • Mikhalis@juno.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
        Thats IT! do you have any other info on it? What book was this photo and info taken from? I have emailed the Museum listed in the article to see if they still house the piece.
        Thanks,
        Mikhalis

        --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

        > Can you post the picture?  I know of a Viking bench in Mobel Europas,
        > but not sure if it's the same one.
        >
        > Ulrich

        D'oh!  I have pictures of it already online.

        Check out:

        http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench02.jpg
        http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench03.jpg

        The second .jpg file confirms it's from Kungsara Church.  Looks like
        it's made of fir (tannenholz) and beech (buchenholz).  Dimensions are
        106x194x62 cm.  I have another graphic somewhere showing the back with
        it's large twined dragon.  I'll post it as soon as I can.

        Ulrich

      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2003
          --- Mikhalis@... wrote:
          > Thats IT! do you have any other info on it? What book was this photo
          > and info taken from? I have emailed the Museum listed in the article
          > to see if they still house the piece.

          All the data was in the file bench03.jpg.

          To answer an earlier question, the bench is dated to "Anfang 12. Jh."
          which translates to "at the beginning of 12th century."

          Ulrich

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • peerlady
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 9, 2003
            That is such a cool bench. A narrower version would make a nice
            little throne. And if you look carefully at the interior of the
            Golden Hall of Edoras in "The Two Towers", you'll see a bench based
            on this one.
            -- Signy