Re: Period slat bed plans

  • anabeladg
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 2, 2008
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
      <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

      > >> It looks good, but my only concern is the canvas in the middle.
      Stretch,
      > rip, etc. <<
      >
      > Yea. I think I'd consult one of them 'sewing people' for tips. some
      good
      > heavy tarp material (the kind ya' find at Farm&Barn or some such) would
      > probably do quite well. with double rolled hems around for the
      grommets to
      > set in.
      >
      > Chas.

      As one of "them sewing people" :-) I would recommend using tent weight
      canvas (10-14 oz) & follow the directions Chas mentioned earlier.
      (Double rolled hem is folding the edge of the fabric twice over itself
      about 1.5 inches.) One will still not be able to use it like a
      trampoline; however, it will put up with a lot of abuse.

      Use the large grommets which have metal on both sides. The type you
      would see on boat sails. Place your grommets about 4-6 inches apart.

      The most important is making sure the canvas is under high and even
      tension. Do not be surprised as time goes on the distance between the
      canvas & wood gets smaller.

      Though I have not experimented with this option myself, I have heard
      using 3 inch strips of canvas & weaving them together as another
      option instead of rope. Though I am not sure of the "periodness" of this.

      Ana de Granada
    • Dave Ordway
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 2, 2008
        I made a pair of Glastonbury style chairs out of 1x pine.  I chose this material for the cost effectiveness and for the reason that it was a new design attempt for me.  They have been going strong for a few years now and have been to many demos and festivals over the years.  As these were a prototype, I am waiting for them to become unusable before rebuilding out of a more expensive hardwood.  It appears that I may have some more time to wait.

        Lagerstein