RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Period slat bed plans

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 2, 2008
      Actually the method of construction in the
      referenced article is basically the same as 18th
      & 19th Century British folding Campaign beds used
      - refer to previous posts about Chippendale's
      book of designs which included campaign
      furniture. If you make the rope long enough ( and
      in several pieces) you can just slacken it off
      that the whole thing folds up. Standard design
      with canvas tarps is to fold over the edge a
      couple of inches, often with a further reinforce
      added, then punch thru' the doubling & insert
      metal eyelets (period is to form an eyelet with
      button hole stitch and include an iron or brass
      ring within the over stitching).

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      > >> It looks good, but my only concern is the
      > canvas in the middle… Stretch, rip, etc… <<
      >Yea… I think I’d consult one of them ‘sewing
      >people’ for tips… some good heavy tarp material
      >(the kind ya’ find at Farm&Barn or some such)
      >would probably do quite well… with double rolled
      >hems around for the grommets to set in…
      >Chas.
    • Dave Ordway
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 2, 2008
        I made a pair of Glastonbury style chairs out of 1x pine.  I chose this material for the cost effectiveness and for the reason that it was a new design attempt for me.  They have been going strong for a few years now and have been to many demos and festivals over the years.  As these were a prototype, I am waiting for them to become unusable before rebuilding out of a more expensive hardwood.  It appears that I may have some more time to wait.

        Lagerstein