Re: [MedievalSawdust] wood to use

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 1, 2008
      +1 to what John LaTorre said.

      You can get away with pine for a bed, but I would never recommend it for an X-frame chair.  (And frankly I wouldn't make a bed out of it either, because it will get dinged up too quickly.  But my time frame seems to be different from most folks'... I expect a piece of furniture to last a lifetime, at least.)  The joinery on an X-frame requires a lot of strength in the wood, more than pine can offer, IMO.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg) wrote:

      I am thinking of a folding or break-down chair/thrown and a break-down bed.

      Chair: probably an X-chair with back attached using a sort of tusk tenon.

      Bed: Viking style using tusk tenon joints.

      _,_._,___
    • Dave Ordway
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 2, 2008
        I made a pair of Glastonbury style chairs out of 1x pine.  I chose this material for the cost effectiveness and for the reason that it was a new design attempt for me.  They have been going strong for a few years now and have been to many demos and festivals over the years.  As these were a prototype, I am waiting for them to become unusable before rebuilding out of a more expensive hardwood.  It appears that I may have some more time to wait.

        Lagerstein