RE: [medievalsawdust] Kungsara Bench

  • Schuster, Robert L.
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003

      From: Joseph Hayes [mailto:von_landstuhl@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 1:58 PM
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Kungsara Bench

      --- allmustfade <Mikhalis@...> wrote:
      > Would any of you learned fellows know where I could find photographs
      > or drawings of the Kungsara Viking bench in Vastmanland Scandinavia?
      > I have one pic of it in the book "History of Furniture" but all my
      > searching on the web has lead nowhere.

       --are you refering to the bench featured here?

      Halvgrimr

    • Mikhalis@juno.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
        I'll try posting it. This bench is very heavily carved with winged dragon knotwork motif. Really impressive looking, dated around 1100AD.
        Thanks,
        Mikhalis

        On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:58:06 -0700 (PDT) Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> writes:

        --- allmustfade <Mikhalis@...> wrote:
        > Would any of you learned fellows know where I could find photographs
        > or drawings of the Kungsara Viking bench in Vastmanland Scandinavia?
        > I have one pic of it in the book "History of Furniture" but all my
        > searching on the web has lead nowhere.

        Can you post the picture?  I know of a Viking bench in Mobel Europas,
        but not sure if it's the same one.

        Ulrich

      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003

          --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

          > Can you post the picture? I know of a Viking bench in Mobel Europas,
          > but not sure if it's the same one.
          >
          > Ulrich

          D'oh! I have pictures of it already online.

          Check out:

          http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench02.jpg
          http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench03.jpg

          The second .jpg file confirms it's from Kungsara Church. Looks like
          it's made of fir (tannenholz) and beech (buchenholz). Dimensions are
          106x194x62 cm. I have another graphic somewhere showing the back with
          it's large twined dragon. I'll post it as soon as I can.

          Ulrich

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Schuster, Robert L.
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003

            D'oh!  I have pictures of it already online.

            Check out:

            http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench02.jpg
            http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench03.jpg

            The second .jpg file confirms it's from Kungsara Church.  Looks like
            it's made of fir (tannenholz) and beech (buchenholz).  Dimensions are
            106x194x62 cm.  I have another graphic somewhere showing the back with
            it's large twined dragon.  I'll post it as soon as I can.

            Ulrich

             --ya got a firmer dating than "Viking"?

            Halvgrimr
            thouroughly interested
          • Mikhalis@juno.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
              Thats IT! do you have any other info on it? What book was this photo and info taken from? I have emailed the Museum listed in the article to see if they still house the piece.
              Thanks,
              Mikhalis

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2003
                --- Mikhalis@... wrote:
                > Thats IT! do you have any other info on it? What book was this photo
                > and info taken from? I have emailed the Museum listed in the article
                > to see if they still house the piece.

                All the data was in the file bench03.jpg.

                To answer an earlier question, the bench is dated to "Anfang 12. Jh."
                which translates to "at the beginning of 12th century."

                Ulrich

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • peerlady
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 9, 2003
                  That is such a cool bench. A narrower version would make a nice
                  little throne. And if you look carefully at the interior of the
                  Golden Hall of Edoras in "The Two Towers", you'll see a bench based
                  on this one.
                  -- Signy