Kungsara Bench

  • allmustfade
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
      Hail to one and all!
      Would any of you learned fellows know where I could find photographs
      or drawings of the Kungsara Viking bench in Vastmanland Scandinavia?
      I have one pic of it in the book "History of Furniture" but all my
      searching on the web has lead nowhere.
      Anyone know a book or periodical that might have such pictures?
      I'm researching this for an A&S project so any help would be GREATLY
      appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Mikhalis
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
        --- allmustfade <Mikhalis@...> wrote:
        > Would any of you learned fellows know where I could find photographs
        > or drawings of the Kungsara Viking bench in Vastmanland Scandinavia?
        > I have one pic of it in the book "History of Furniture" but all my
        > searching on the web has lead nowhere.

        Can you post the picture? I know of a Viking bench in Mobel Europas,
        but not sure if it's the same one.

        Ulrich

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Schuster, Robert L.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003

          > Would any of you learned fellows know where I could find photographs
          > or drawings of the Kungsara Viking bench in Vastmanland Scandinavia?
          > I have one pic of it in the book "History of Furniture" but all my
          > searching on the web has lead nowhere.

           --are you refering to the bench featured here?

          Halvgrimr

        • Mikhalis@juno.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
            I'll try posting it. This bench is very heavily carved with winged dragon knotwork motif. Really impressive looking, dated around 1100AD.
            Thanks,
            Mikhalis

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003

              --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

              > Can you post the picture? I know of a Viking bench in Mobel Europas,
              > but not sure if it's the same one.
              >
              > Ulrich

              D'oh! I have pictures of it already online.

              Check out:

              http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench02.jpg
              http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench03.jpg

              The second .jpg file confirms it's from Kungsara Church. Looks like
              it's made of fir (tannenholz) and beech (buchenholz). Dimensions are
              106x194x62 cm. I have another graphic somewhere showing the back with
              it's large twined dragon. I'll post it as soon as I can.

              Ulrich

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Schuster, Robert L.
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003

                D'oh!  I have pictures of it already online.

                Check out:

                http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench02.jpg
                http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/bench03.jpg

                The second .jpg file confirms it's from Kungsara Church.  Looks like
                it's made of fir (tannenholz) and beech (buchenholz).  Dimensions are
                106x194x62 cm.  I have another graphic somewhere showing the back with
                it's large twined dragon.  I'll post it as soon as I can.

                Ulrich

                 --ya got a firmer dating than "Viking"?

                Halvgrimr
                thouroughly interested
              • Mikhalis@juno.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
                  Thats IT! do you have any other info on it? What book was this photo and info taken from? I have emailed the Museum listed in the article to see if they still house the piece.
                  Thanks,
                  Mikhalis

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 9, 2003
                    --- Mikhalis@... wrote:
                    > Thats IT! do you have any other info on it? What book was this photo
                    > and info taken from? I have emailed the Museum listed in the article
                    > to see if they still house the piece.

                    All the data was in the file bench03.jpg.

                    To answer an earlier question, the bench is dated to "Anfang 12. Jh."
                    which translates to "at the beginning of 12th century."

                    Ulrich

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                  • peerlady
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 9, 2003
                      That is such a cool bench. A narrower version would make a nice
                      little throne. And if you look carefully at the interior of the
                      Golden Hall of Edoras in "The Two Towers", you'll see a bench based
                      on this one.
                      -- Signy