Re: [MedievalSawdust] Stitching horse for leather work

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
      Its basically a giant clamp to hold the work together, so you have
      both hands free to work the needle. most of the ones i see are stand
      ups, where you put a foot down on wood to hold it shut. This one
      seems of the sitting style, probably using the knees to clamp together
      the wood clamp.

      On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Rebekah d'Avignon
      <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:
      > Compliments on the excellent joinery.....not sure what a leather stitching
      > horse does, or how the leather worker uses it.
      >
      > Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
      >
      > I've been working on a leather stitching horse for a squire brother and
      > it's turning out great!
      >

      > I just wanted to share picture....
      >
      > http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view¤t=DSCF1845.jpg
      >
      > http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view¤t=DSCF1846.jpg
      >
      > http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view¤t=DSCF1847.jpg
      >
      > http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view¤t=DSCF1848.jpg
      >
      > the clamp is 5 1/4" wide....
      >
      > All that is left is the hardware and final sanding...
      >
      > I've got a guy that might be able to make the metal parts for me...
      >

      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      > Aude Aliquid Dignum
      > ' Dare Something Worthy '
      >

      > RdA
      > Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 13, 2008
        Hmmm...

        Familiar...
      • Michael Houghton
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 13, 2008
          Howdy!

          On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:21 PM, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:
          > Its basically a giant clamp to hold the work together, so you have
          > both hands free to work the needle. most of the ones i see are stand
          > ups, where you put a foot down on wood to hold it shut. This one
          > seems of the sitting style, probably using the knees to clamp together
          > the wood clamp.

          It looks like there is a pedal for the right foot attached to the black
          strap that draws the clamp together.

          yours,
          Herveus

          --
          Michael Houghton | Herveus d'Ormonde
          herveus@... | White Wolf and the Phoenix
          | http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
        • leaking pen
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2008
            you are right. i missed that. thanks!

          • conradh@efn.org
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 17, 2008
              On Wed, November 12, 2008 7:24 am, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
              > I've been working on a leather stitching horse for a squire brother and
              > it's turning out great!

              It looks great--so what hardware are you needing? Is it incomplete, or do
              you just want to replace the chromed bits I see in the photos?

              If your deal with your friend doesn't work out, I might be able to make
              hinges, pins or whatever.

              Ulfhedinn
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 17, 2008
                I'll attach a drawing....

                On Wed, November 12, 2008 7:24 am, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                > I've been working on a leather stitching horse for a squire brother and
                > it's turning out great!

                It looks great--so what hardware are you needing? Is it incomplete, or do
                you just want to replace the chromed bits I see in the photos?

                If your deal with your friend doesn't work out, I might be able to make
                hinges, pins or whatever.

                Ulfhedinn

              • Jim Hart
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 23, 2008
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9, 2008
                    <baronconal@...> wrote:

                    > I've been working on a leather stitching horse for a squire brother and
                    > it's turning out great!
                    >

                    > I just wanted to share picture....

                    > the clamp is 5 1/4" wide....
                    >
                    > All that is left is the hardware and final sanding...
                    >
                    > I've got a guy that might be able to make the metal parts for me...
                    >

                    > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    >
                    > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                    > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                    Very nice! I do some leather work myself. Question: why is the clam
                    canted off center? I do all my stitching with a portable pony straight
                    on left and right.