Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Dantesca Plans

  • Dave Ordway
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
      Thanks for the insight.  It was not my intent to imply that Dante had a past with this style chair.  I have read that it was named for him at a later date based upon an example in Italy.  Possibly geographic coincidence or someone was a fan or something.  I intend to make examples of all the period fauldistoriums for display in encampment at demos.  I started with a fauldstool (pincer) and thought I'd try my hand at the Dantesca before attempting a Savonarola.  I realize they can be heavy which leads to my next question, does the Dantesca actually fold?  Examples I've seen appear that the connecting joint, being a halflap, would prevent it from folding.

      Lagerstein

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
        Thanks.  I had seen this set of plans before.  It does represent the style I'm looking for, however, I wish there was more detailed info or maybe photos to accompany it.

        Lagerstein

        "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
        --Benjamin Franklin--

        Close.  I am looking for it's cousin.  The one named after Dante.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008

          When I was in Spain I saw some (don’t remember where the pictures went to…)… and they did fold.   The one in my plans also folds… to a point.  Like the ‘Savonarola’ style and any of the other folding type stools and chairs… the geometry of the chair itself plays into how flat the chairs fold.

          Actually the half-lap isn’t so much the restricting element as the tops of the chair at the back…

          Chas. Oakley

          ========================

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
            As executed by Diehl, it does not fold.  You can make it a take down chair by not gluing the half lap and putting a bold through it, but yes, it's a fake folding chair.

            Will

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
              What info are you looking for? I've got 6 of those chairs
              mostly finished in my shop right now... I've taken the
              basic design and let it evolve a little....( with Master
              Charles permission.... He is my Laurel. )

              http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view&current=Nov2coffer.jpg

              http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/Chair%20pictures/?action=view&current=12b9.jpg

              http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view&current=extracoffer.jpg

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 10, 2008

                I’m new to this list so I may have missed this info, if so my apologies.  However, do you make these for sale?  If so, can I get more info?

                Thanks,

                ~M

                Michael J. Carroll
                L'Emprise de l'Escu Gules