Re: Dantesca Plans

  • Prudence Doe
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
      Wow, that was some project and those are magnificent chairs, very worthy of the description...throne.

    • Kel Rekuta
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...>
        wrote:

        > Close. I am looking for it's cousin. The one named after Dante.

        Its unlikely Dante ever saw such a chair in his lifetime, as the fixed
        leg curule chair described is a late 15thC design. Like the Savonarola
        chair, both are late Victorian "applied" names for X-chairs with
        curved legs, with or without a movable back. More recent scholars use
        the term "curule" for chairs with curved legs. This term comes from
        "sella curulis" as such tend to be described in period inventories.

        There is a functional pattern for a 16thC version of the fixed leg
        curule chair you are probably looking for in Daniel Diehl's first book
        "Constructing Medieval Furniture." ISBN 0811727955 (Pg 81+)

        For a most thorough treatment of the topic, find a copy of Ole
        Wanscher's 1980 book. http://openlibrary.org/b/OL3797606M

        Have fun with that! They make attractive if heavy seating in the home.
        Giant pain to transport to events though.... ;-)
      • Trevor Payne
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
          same site:  Different page:

          http://www.mastercharlesoakley.com/coff_chair.html

          Aiden

          "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
          --Benjamin Franklin--

          Close.  I am looking for it's cousin.  The one named after Dante.

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
            Thanks for the insight.  It was not my intent to imply that Dante had a past with this style chair.  I have read that it was named for him at a later date based upon an example in Italy.  Possibly geographic coincidence or someone was a fan or something.  I intend to make examples of all the period fauldistoriums for display in encampment at demos.  I started with a fauldstool (pincer) and thought I'd try my hand at the Dantesca before attempting a Savonarola.  I realize they can be heavy which leads to my next question, does the Dantesca actually fold?  Examples I've seen appear that the connecting joint, being a halflap, would prevent it from folding.

            Lagerstein

            > Close. I am looking for it's cousin. The one named after Dante.

            Its unlikely Dante ever saw such a chair in his lifetime, as the fixed
            leg curule chair described is a late 15thC design. Like the Savonarola
            chair, both are late Victorian "applied" names for X-chairs with
            curved legs, with or without a movable back. More recent scholars use
            the term "curule" for chairs with curved legs. This term comes from
            "sella curulis" as such tend to be described in period inventories.

            There is a functional pattern for a 16thC version of the fixed leg
            curule chair you are probably looking for in Daniel Diehl's first book
            "Constructing Medieval Furniture." ISBN 0811727955 (Pg 81+)

            For a most thorough treatment of the topic, find a copy of Ole
            Wanscher's 1980 book. http://openlibrary. org/b/OL3797606M

            Have fun with that! They make attractive if heavy seating in the home.
            Giant pain to transport to events though.... ;-)

          • Dave Ordway
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
              Thanks.  I had seen this set of plans before.  It does represent the style I'm looking for, however, I wish there was more detailed info or maybe photos to accompany it.

              Lagerstein

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008

                When I was in Spain I saw some (don’t remember where the pictures went to…)… and they did fold.   The one in my plans also folds… to a point.  Like the ‘Savonarola’ style and any of the other folding type stools and chairs… the geometry of the chair itself plays into how flat the chairs fold.

                Actually the half-lap isn’t so much the restricting element as the tops of the chair at the back…

                Chas. Oakley

                ========================

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                  As executed by Diehl, it does not fold.  You can make it a take down chair by not gluing the half lap and putting a bold through it, but yes, it's a fake folding chair.

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
                    What info are you looking for? I've got 6 of those chairs
                    mostly finished in my shop right now... I've taken the
                    basic design and let it evolve a little....( with Master
                    Charles permission.... He is my Laurel. )

                    http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view&current=Nov2coffer.jpg

                    http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/Chair%20pictures/?action=view&current=12b9.jpg

                    http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/?action=view&current=extracoffer.jpg

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 10, 2008

                      I’m new to this list so I may have missed this info, if so my apologies.  However, do you make these for sale?  If so, can I get more info?

                      Thanks,

                      ~M

                      Michael J. Carroll
                      L'Emprise de l'Escu Gules