Re: [medievalsawdust] x-chair "Savonarola" working drawings

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
      Howdy Alan

      ...  by a strange coincidence I happen to have a set of plans up (you're welcome to them) at"

      Look up the one on the Peacock chair...    hope it is of value to you.

      Chas.

    • tims
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
        Along with the other listings I've seen here in other replies, I also found
        this one on the web.

        http://www.dmiles44.freeserve.co.uk/davchint.wmf

        Tim

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
          --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
          > Howdy Alan
          >
          > ... by a strange coincidence I happen to have a set
          > of plans up (you're welcome to them) at"
          >
          > www.oakley.circlewolf.org or;
          > www.medievialwood.org/charles or;
          > www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley
          >
          > Look up the one on the Peacock chair... hope it
          > is of value to you.
          >
          > Chas.

          in the files section ( in Conal's folder )
          there are pics of the coffer chair with a few
          minor changes. I used a wooden back and seat
          instead of cloth. I've made six pairs of the
          chairs and am getting ready to make 3 more pairs

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Alan Waring #589
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
            Thanks to one and all for your help.

            I had visited and bookmarked each of the leads, et al,. When online
            plans & pics are combined of the x-folding chair, the element that
            most impressed me, was that fact that all the leg designs vary (not a
            little); the variations seem to be determined by the amount of wood
            one is willing to waste (1 x 3 1/4" to 1 x 5 1/2 rough), or the
            strength of the chosen wood, combined with the number of legs;

            the relative position of the arms and feet vary much(on some chairs,
            the arms sit on the same vertical plane, while others place the feet
            well inside);

            the pivot points likewise, are here, there, and everywhere,
            thus altering seat height and width. Also, the number of legs vary
            from 5 pair(cheapo repros) to 11 (early and a bit overbuilt). 8 & 9
            pair are the most common, on both early and
            reproductions/interpretations.

            I think I will have to draw plans from photos, something neew to me.

            Many thanks,
            Alan Waring
            Dale Guild Art Dept
            www.daleguild.com
          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003

              >> the pivot points likewise, are here, there, and everywhere,
              thus altering seat height and width. Also, the number of legs vary
              from 5 pair(cheapo repros) to 11 (early and a bit overbuilt). 8 & 9
              pair are the most common, on both early and
              reproductions/interpretations. <<

              Actually, the 'pivot points' are not as random as they might appear...  there's actually a structure underlying it all that is absolute and not tampered with lightly...

              All "X-chairs" or stools have pins in a very definite pattern:

              o     o     o

              In the top row the left and right pins must be on the same plane as the center pin and are equally distant from the center pin.  The bottom pin sits somewhere along a line that is perpendicular to the row of pins that make the seat work.  The physical measurements will depend on the width of the seat and the angle at which the legs sit to the floor...