Re: choosing wood.

  • Kel Rekuta
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
      Regular alcohol based leather dyes work fine for brightly coloured
      wood grain. They are colour fast and relatively inexpensive. If you
      like that sort of thing... ;-) I prefer paint for brightly coloured
      projects.

      Kel

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
      <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

      > I recently had a need for blue wood. Take regular food coloring and
      dilute it AT LEAST 1:2 with alcohol - that's 1 part color to 2 parts
      alcohol. One to four might be better. You can always make it darker,
      but once it's there - you're stuck.

      > This will allow the grain of the wood to show through. I
      understand that MinWax has colored stains, but the local stores hadn't
      stocked them when I checked last.

      > Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
      > Speaking of inlay - I don't suppose anyone has
      encountered a blue wood.