Re: [MedievalSawdust] choosing wood.

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2008
      On Fri, October 31, 2008 7:13 am, AlbionWood wrote:
      > I've generally started out with a short list of woods that IMO are
      > reasonably close to European woods used in period, in terms of appearance
      > and character. SO most of my stuff has been made of white oak, walnut, or
      > ash. My projects have mostly been intended for outdoor/camping/tourney
      > use, so things like pine or poplar are usually out of the question because
      > they aren't durable enough. Price is a secondary consideration, because
      > the cost of the wood is only a small fraction of the value of my labor.

      Don't forget maple, beech if you can get it, and some of the Mediterranean
      woods. Iberian craftspeople use a lot of olive wood, which might be
      available from California sources as well. It turns very nicely, and
      with a bit of stain myrtlewood might pass for it. :-)

      If you befriend tree surgeons or city arborists, a lot of European trees
      are over here as street ornamentals. Lots and lots of white birch (good
      for traditional broom making too!) Norway pine (what the English have been
      importing as "deal" since the Middle Ages) and others depending on your
      climate. Check with orchardists too--most of our fruit trees were brought
      here from Europe. English walnut doesn't have the reputation among
      American cabinetmakers that native black walnut has, but it's a very
      attractive wood and quite strong--I've made medium and large handscrews
      out of it.

      Ulfhedinn

      FWIW, Douglas Fir is also a native European wood, if you go back far
      enough. Very early period, though--the glaciers exterminated it in the Old
      World during the first of the Ice Ages.
    • Kel Rekuta
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2008
        Regular alcohol based leather dyes work fine for brightly coloured
        wood grain. They are colour fast and relatively inexpensive. If you
        like that sort of thing... ;-) I prefer paint for brightly coloured
        projects.

        Kel

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
        <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

        > I recently had a need for blue wood. Take regular food coloring and
        dilute it AT LEAST 1:2 with alcohol - that's 1 part color to 2 parts
        alcohol. One to four might be better. You can always make it darker,
        but once it's there - you're stuck.

        > This will allow the grain of the wood to show through. I
        understand that MinWax has colored stains, but the local stores hadn't
        stocked them when I checked last.

        > Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
        > Speaking of inlay - I don't suppose anyone has
        encountered a blue wood.