x-chair "Savonarola" working drawings

  • Alan Waring #589
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
      Greetings,

      I'm new to this list, and have searched the message archive re: a
      source for x-chair "Savonarola" working drawings. I've exhausted
      several Google searches & c.. I would be more than happy to pay for a
      detailed set of an early folding example.

      I came upon a large Amer. cherry log, and I want to put it to good
      use. Must I purchase a Victorian repro, or is there a CAD prograam
      that can utilize photographs to convert to working drawings?

      My anachronistic skills can be found at www.daleguild.com , but
      wood , via restoration carpentry, was once my trade/craft/living,
      before I wrecked my back.
    • Cockerel Woodworks
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003

        It is not hard to make your own designs. Make an accurate drawing of the chair you want, then enlarge it to full size. Paste this to a sheet of ply or mdf and cut out the wiggly slat. This is your template. Now make a dummy chair of only two leg-slats and two seat slats from ply to make sure all the proportions are working and that it folds OK. If it does, you are in business!

        Cockerel Woodworks

        Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

        View our gallery!

        http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
          Howdy Alan

          ...  by a strange coincidence I happen to have a set of plans up (you're welcome to them) at"

          Look up the one on the Peacock chair...    hope it is of value to you.

          Chas.

        • tims
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
            Along with the other listings I've seen here in other replies, I also found
            this one on the web.

            http://www.dmiles44.freeserve.co.uk/davchint.wmf

            Tim

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/LmiolB/TM
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
              --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
              > Howdy Alan
              >
              > ... by a strange coincidence I happen to have a set
              > of plans up (you're welcome to them) at"
              >
              > www.oakley.circlewolf.org or;
              > www.medievialwood.org/charles or;
              > www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/oakley
              >
              > Look up the one on the Peacock chair... hope it
              > is of value to you.
              >
              > Chas.

              in the files section ( in Conal's folder )
              there are pics of the coffer chair with a few
              minor changes. I used a wooden back and seat
              instead of cloth. I've made six pairs of the
              chairs and am getting ready to make 3 more pairs

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Alan Waring #589
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
                Thanks to one and all for your help.

                I had visited and bookmarked each of the leads, et al,. When online
                plans & pics are combined of the x-folding chair, the element that
                most impressed me, was that fact that all the leg designs vary (not a
                little); the variations seem to be determined by the amount of wood
                one is willing to waste (1 x 3 1/4" to 1 x 5 1/2 rough), or the
                strength of the chosen wood, combined with the number of legs;

                the relative position of the arms and feet vary much(on some chairs,
                the arms sit on the same vertical plane, while others place the feet
                well inside);

                the pivot points likewise, are here, there, and everywhere,
                thus altering seat height and width. Also, the number of legs vary
                from 5 pair(cheapo repros) to 11 (early and a bit overbuilt). 8 & 9
                pair are the most common, on both early and
                reproductions/interpretations.

                I think I will have to draw plans from photos, something neew to me.

                Many thanks,
                Alan Waring
                Dale Guild Art Dept
                www.daleguild.com
              • James Winkler
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003

                  >> the pivot points likewise, are here, there, and everywhere,
                  thus altering seat height and width. Also, the number of legs vary
                  from 5 pair(cheapo repros) to 11 (early and a bit overbuilt). 8 & 9
                  pair are the most common, on both early and
                  reproductions/interpretations. <<

                  Actually, the 'pivot points' are not as random as they might appear...  there's actually a structure underlying it all that is absolute and not tampered with lightly...

                  All "X-chairs" or stools have pins in a very definite pattern:

                  o     o     o

                  In the top row the left and right pins must be on the same plane as the center pin and are equally distant from the center pin.  The bottom pin sits somewhere along a line that is perpendicular to the row of pins that make the seat work.  The physical measurements will depend on the width of the seat and the angle at which the legs sit to the floor...