RE: [medievalsawdust] polish

  • Cockerel Woodworks
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003

      Period correct? You will need to rub in many coats of thinned linseed oil over a period of years. I use a 1:1 mix of pale boiled linseed to gum turpentine. Rub it into the smoothed surface with a cotton rubber, leave for five minutes or so and then rub off with a clean cloth. Repeat lots. It gets better with every coat. You can give it a coat of wax when it is dry to remove any tackiness. It is a very good idea to re-wax or oil every year for the fist fifty years.

                  As near as most experts can tell, linseed or similar oils were used this way in period to preserve timber. Otherwise they were painted with various pigments and preparations.

      Ulfgar (OL- period furniture)

      AKA Julian

      Cockerel Woodworks

      Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

      View our gallery!

      http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
        The old saying regarding rubbing in linseed oil goes:

        "Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year forever."