Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: dovetailing - was The Real Deal, on sale soon!

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 19, 2008
      Sure looks like dovetail joinery to me!  I've seen (and photographed) a very similar chest - thick boards, dovetail corner joinery, plain iron strapping - in Avignon, where it was assigned to the 15th c.  I wonder on what basis these coffers are dated?  I'm particularly interested in the XIVc attribution for the Alsace coffer, as that would be considerably earlier than any other dovetailed chest I've seen.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Rhys Terafan Greydragon wrote:
      Greetings unto Julian and Colin from Terafan,

          I have a photo of a (supposedly) 14th century chest from the Alsace region of Switzerland/France that shows something like dovetailing.   The last chest on the page http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/oeuvre.html

      Maybe those aren't really doevtails, but I am curious now what they are...

      cheers,
         Terafan

      Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon     terafan@...
      Brewer, Tent and Furniture maker, and other things I can't remember...