Tapering dowls and the tool to do so.

  • Alessandro dEste
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
      Some were on the web I came across a tool that was used to taper dowl
      ends. And while hunting for more info on that tool I found a wooden
      hole tapering devise. The problem was the picture was so small that
      when enlarged I could not get a good view of how it was made. Im
      wanting to make this tool. From what I could see the person had used a
      tappered table leg and afixed a blade to it with a handle to twist by.
      I have seen them made of metal in one of Roy Underhill's books and wood
      ones also. but I just can't seem to find a photo clear enuff to see how
      its made. Can anyone help
      Sandro
    • Trevor Payne
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
        something like this?

        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52401&cat=1,180,42288

        or this?

        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57713&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1

        Aiden

        "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
        --Benjamin Franklin--

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
          Hello the list and greetings Alessandro,

          Have you looked at John Alexander's "Make a Chair from a Tree" site?

          I am making a variation on Alexander's design, where I forged out a reamer blade and am now making the stock to hold it. Alexander's method is easier.

          -Malcolm

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008

            I saw in this ad for the spoon bits this part of the description and I do not understand it. Could someone decipher for me?

            “But the most impressive feature of this kind of bit is that, in a single operation, you can bore an accurately sized and positioned hole at an acute angle, lower than possible with any other kind of bit.”

            From this link: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57713&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1

            Domingos

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
              Bill Brown <stickbow@...> wrote:
              I saw in this ad for the spoon bits this part of the description and I do not understand it. Could someone decipher for me?
              “But the most impressive feature of this kind of bit is that, in a single operation, you can bore an accurately sized and positioned hole at an acute angle, lower than possible with any other kind of bit.”
              Domingos
              .

              = = = = =
              Not sure what you want deciphered, but......
              Chair legs are fequently fairly thin and must be bored for the stretchers. Using a standard bit with a screw-type brad point or a spade bit with a brad point (the points keep the bit in place until the hole is being bored) means that you run the risk of the point coming all the way through the leg - which is NOT what you want. The spoon bit makes a round-bottom hole for the stretcher without a lead for the brad point.
              The entire leading edge of the bit being sharpened means that you don't have to bore at 90 degrees - since chair legs are frequently splayed to give greater support, the stretcher can't intersect at right angles. It is possible to bore a hole at an angle with one of those other bits, but a spoon bit allows you to bore at a shaprer (more acute) angle.

              Is that helpful?

              RdA
              Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

            • Bill Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008

                I believe I do. I think I must get me a couple.

                Domingos

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
                  After seeing the web page I just saw what I want for christmas...

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I believe I do. I think I must get me a couple.
                  >

                  > Domingos

                • Alex Haugland
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                    To which you add the fact that they are a very period form of bit, unlike many other modernly available bit forms...

                    --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
                    Barony of Adiantum, An Tir