RE: [MedievalSawdust] enlarging a 1 1/4 inch hole

  • Royce
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

      That’d be real cool…

      I’d buy those..  You can never find a good toothpick late at night when ya reeeaaaalllly need one…

      Bercilak

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

        … mind reader!!!     ;-)

        Chas.

        ==================

        On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

        <snip>

        > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
        >

        > Chas.

        What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
        mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
        toothpicks...

      • Ted Kocot
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
          Just so I know, is this end grain we're cutting? Is it through or
          stopped?

          If you have a bit of the right size, I'd kind of use your idea, only
          I'd cut a kerf in the end of my piece of dowel (and drill a hole
          though the bottom) and then attach this plug to my drill bit. It will
          have to be pretty carefully centered but it will save you having to
          drill out all that wood twice.

          If you don't have the drill bit, what I would try is making something
          like a scratch stock out of a cheap Xacto-gouge blade and a piece of
          one inch dowel.

          Avery
        • Alessandro dEste
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...>
            wrote:

            > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

            > Chas.

            Chas could you exsplain this.
            Sandro
          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008

              ;-)    The “spoke shave thing” I refered to was basically using a spoke shave to taper the ends of the dowels to fit the existing holes rather than enlarging the holes…   (-:    Not exactly the desired form of solution… but a practical one none the less…

              Commercial tapered reamers *might* be useful… but most of them I’ve seen have a relatively sever taper…  my suggestion  for turning a taper was to make it gentle enough that, by working from both sides of the plank, you’d have minimal material in the center to remove  (running a taper in from both sides of the hole would create a bit of an “hourglass” effect on the hole.

              Chas.

              > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

              > Chas.

              Chas could you exsplain this.
              Sandro

            • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                Use a 1" drum sander chucked in a drill or a drill press.

                Or if you have some of the "old" pole, glue it into the old hole and then redrill.

                -Liam