polish

  • Omer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2003
          A couple of years ago I made a fine furniture polish, worked great.  Now I am about out of that batch and cannot remember how I made it.  Any one got a formula for wax, past or other?  Period correct of course.

          Omer
    • C N Schwartz
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2003
        One of my favorite finishes I got from an oldtool buddy named Tony Seo.  It's listed here:

        Don't know if this is what you are looking for...
        Don't burn yourself up!

        And you can experiment with substituting turpentine for the mineral spirits for similar results and a purely period finish/polish/cleaner.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2003
              A funny story.  That sounds like the polish I made before I thank you.  I gave a friend some of the polish I had made (the reason I ran out).  He liked it so much he wanted to make some of his own.  I made mine in the back yard useing a coffiee can in a pot of water.  He got in a hurry and tried to use a turkey frier, no water, just to heat it fast.  His eye brows have grown back.  Next time he will listen to all the instructions.

              Omer
        • Cockerel Woodworks
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003

            Period correct? You will need to rub in many coats of thinned linseed oil over a period of years. I use a 1:1 mix of pale boiled linseed to gum turpentine. Rub it into the smoothed surface with a cotton rubber, leave for five minutes or so and then rub off with a clean cloth. Repeat lots. It gets better with every coat. You can give it a coat of wax when it is dry to remove any tackiness. It is a very good idea to re-wax or oil every year for the fist fifty years.

                        As near as most experts can tell, linseed or similar oils were used this way in period to preserve timber. Otherwise they were painted with various pigments and preparations.

            Ulfgar (OL- period furniture)

            AKA Julian

            Cockerel Woodworks

            Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

            View our gallery!

            http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
              The old saying regarding rubbing in linseed oil goes:

              "Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year forever."