RE: [MedievalSawdust] enlarging a 1 1/4 inch hole

  • logan
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

      safest bet and sure to yield the best results.

      regards

      logan

      "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
      Harry S Truman

      "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

      Niccolo Machiavelli

      www.ebonwoulfe.com

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

        Well... let's see:

        A: highly trained termites
        B: rat-tail rasp
        C: *really* careful work with a very narrow chisle
        D: do that "shave the spoke" thing...  best option in my opinion

        Of course... there is the semi-excessive path of making a thin tapered dowel on the ol' lathe and then doing that sand paper trick (with a hole drilled through the taper so that you can fix a shank in there to mount to your drill press)...

        F: A combination of the semi-excessive path followed by careful application of "B" to remove the "hump" that would be left in the center of the bore..

        ... ummm HOW thick is the piece you drilled undersized???

        G: Laser (... ok... THAT is excessive... but would be cool...)
        H: Ummm...  you could BURN IT with a heated rod of the right size...
        I:  Use a twist bit and REAL careful centering of a well secured workpiece.   Center by mounting the original drill bit in the drill...  insert in existing hole...  clamp... remove existing... insert twist drill...  bore...

        ... 'about all I can come up with at the moment...

        ... of course, you could always accidently misplace the original piece and simply remake it... ;-)

        J:  Ummm...  you could PLUG the orginal holes (glue in the plug)... and THEN re-drill...

        ... nope... that's about it...  I'm kinda' out of ideas at this point...

        K:  you could...  ummm... nope... that wouldn't work...  never mind...

        Chas.
      • Wolf
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
          On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

          <snip>

          > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
          >

          > Chas.

          What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
          mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
          toothpicks...
        • Royce
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

            That’d be real cool…

            I’d buy those..  You can never find a good toothpick late at night when ya reeeaaaalllly need one…

            Bercilak

            On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

            <snip>

            > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
            >

            > Chas.

            What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
            mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
            toothpicks...

          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

              … mind reader!!!     ;-)

              Chas.

              ==================

              On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

              <snip>

              > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
              >

              > Chas.

              What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
              mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
              toothpicks...

            • Ted Kocot
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                Just so I know, is this end grain we're cutting? Is it through or
                stopped?

                If you have a bit of the right size, I'd kind of use your idea, only
                I'd cut a kerf in the end of my piece of dowel (and drill a hole
                though the bottom) and then attach this plug to my drill bit. It will
                have to be pretty carefully centered but it will save you having to
                drill out all that wood twice.

                If you don't have the drill bit, what I would try is making something
                like a scratch stock out of a cheap Xacto-gouge blade and a piece of
                one inch dowel.

                Avery
              • Alessandro dEste
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...>
                  wrote:

                  > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

                  > Chas.

                  Chas could you exsplain this.
                  Sandro
                • James Winkler
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008

                    ;-)    The “spoke shave thing” I refered to was basically using a spoke shave to taper the ends of the dowels to fit the existing holes rather than enlarging the holes…   (-:    Not exactly the desired form of solution… but a practical one none the less…

                    Commercial tapered reamers *might* be useful… but most of them I’ve seen have a relatively sever taper…  my suggestion  for turning a taper was to make it gentle enough that, by working from both sides of the plank, you’d have minimal material in the center to remove  (running a taper in from both sides of the hole would create a bit of an “hourglass” effect on the hole.

                    Chas.

                    > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

                    > Chas.

                    Chas could you exsplain this.
                    Sandro

                  • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                      Use a 1" drum sander chucked in a drill or a drill press.

                      Or if you have some of the "old" pole, glue it into the old hole and then redrill.

                      -Liam