Re: enlarging a 1 1/4 inch hole

  • Eric Hess
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
      <baronconal@...> wrote:

      > I've drilled a 1 1/4" hols into the center
      > section of a banner stand, using a spade bit
      > to about 5 inches deep
      >
      > The pole that were purchased for the banner
      > stands are 1 3/8 inch.
      >
      > Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
      > and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
      > off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
      > I know it's not that much
      >
      > Looking for something that is not so time
      > consuming that buying new poles is not
      > a better idea....
      >
      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      > Aude Aliquid Dignum
      > ' Dare Something Worthy '

      Personally, I'd use a router and a circular hole with a guide
      bushing. Double-stick tape it to the top, enlarge the hole, and with
      the newly created large circle, go in with a forstner bit and take it
      to the full size. A pattern bit should do the trick nicely.
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
          as a practical problem....

          I could make them over.... Wouldn't be all that hard I just
          didn't want to waste the centers.

          Remember I did say 'easy' in the original question. There is
          a threshold for starting over. I'm just wondering if that point
          is where I think it is and was looking for other ideas. Something
          I may not have thought of.

          (  a detail I should have shared )
          I used a larger ( off the top of my head I do not recall the size )
          round-over router bit on the rim of the center hole already so
          there is not sharp edge to used to line up a router bit.

          I think I'm gonna plug the top of the hole and redrill with
          a new flat/spade bit ( I didn't have a 1 3/8" bit anyway so
          this was an excuse to buy a new one )

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

            safest bet and sure to yield the best results.

            regards

            logan

            "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
            Harry S Truman

            "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

            Niccolo Machiavelli

            www.ebonwoulfe.com

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

              Well... let's see:

              A: highly trained termites
              B: rat-tail rasp
              C: *really* careful work with a very narrow chisle
              D: do that "shave the spoke" thing...  best option in my opinion

              Of course... there is the semi-excessive path of making a thin tapered dowel on the ol' lathe and then doing that sand paper trick (with a hole drilled through the taper so that you can fix a shank in there to mount to your drill press)...

              F: A combination of the semi-excessive path followed by careful application of "B" to remove the "hump" that would be left in the center of the bore..

              ... ummm HOW thick is the piece you drilled undersized???

              G: Laser (... ok... THAT is excessive... but would be cool...)
              H: Ummm...  you could BURN IT with a heated rod of the right size...
              I:  Use a twist bit and REAL careful centering of a well secured workpiece.   Center by mounting the original drill bit in the drill...  insert in existing hole...  clamp... remove existing... insert twist drill...  bore...

              ... 'about all I can come up with at the moment...

              ... of course, you could always accidently misplace the original piece and simply remake it... ;-)

              J:  Ummm...  you could PLUG the orginal holes (glue in the plug)... and THEN re-drill...

              ... nope... that's about it...  I'm kinda' out of ideas at this point...

              K:  you could...  ummm... nope... that wouldn't work...  never mind...

              Chas.
            • Wolf
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

                <snip>

                > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
                >

                > Chas.

                What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
                mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
                toothpicks...
              • Royce
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                  That’d be real cool…

                  I’d buy those..  You can never find a good toothpick late at night when ya reeeaaaalllly need one…

                  Bercilak

                  On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

                  <snip>

                  > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
                  >

                  > Chas.

                  What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
                  mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
                  toothpicks...

                • James Winkler
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                    … mind reader!!!     ;-)

                    Chas.

                    ==================

                    On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

                    <snip>

                    > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
                    >

                    > Chas.

                    What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
                    mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
                    toothpicks...

                  • Ted Kocot
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                      Just so I know, is this end grain we're cutting? Is it through or
                      stopped?

                      If you have a bit of the right size, I'd kind of use your idea, only
                      I'd cut a kerf in the end of my piece of dowel (and drill a hole
                      though the bottom) and then attach this plug to my drill bit. It will
                      have to be pretty carefully centered but it will save you having to
                      drill out all that wood twice.

                      If you don't have the drill bit, what I would try is making something
                      like a scratch stock out of a cheap Xacto-gouge blade and a piece of
                      one inch dowel.

                      Avery
                    • Alessandro dEste
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...>
                        wrote:

                        > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

                        > Chas.

                        Chas could you exsplain this.
                        Sandro
                      • James Winkler
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008

                          ;-)    The “spoke shave thing” I refered to was basically using a spoke shave to taper the ends of the dowels to fit the existing holes rather than enlarging the holes…   (-:    Not exactly the desired form of solution… but a practical one none the less…

                          Commercial tapered reamers *might* be useful… but most of them I’ve seen have a relatively sever taper…  my suggestion  for turning a taper was to make it gentle enough that, by working from both sides of the plank, you’d have minimal material in the center to remove  (running a taper in from both sides of the hole would create a bit of an “hourglass” effect on the hole.

                          Chas.

                          > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

                          > Chas.

                          Chas could you exsplain this.
                          Sandro

                        • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                            Use a 1" drum sander chucked in a drill or a drill press.

                            Or if you have some of the "old" pole, glue it into the old hole and then redrill.

                            -Liam