Re:enlarging a 1 1/4 inch hole

  • Craig Robert Pierpont
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
      Use a router bit with a bearing 1/16 smaller than the bit, like a rabbeting set-up. Enlarge the holes from one side about 1/2 the way through. Then use a flush trimming bit to do the other side. It's the way a medieval woodworker would have done it and no I can't document that. I just know it in my bones.

      Craig Robert

      Craig R. Pierpont
      Another Era Lutherie
      www.anotherera.com

    • Alex Flinsch
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008

        On Oct 3, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

        Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
        and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
        off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
        I know it's not that much

        If you have a set of hole saws, mount the 1 1/4 inch one inside of the 1 3/8 inch one (some sets will let you do this), and then use the smaller (inner) saw as a guide for the larger one.

      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
          Um - my time is worth more to me than the cost of a replacement length of Dowelling.
          So, if it was me, as a professional woodworker, I'd either replace the staff dowelling, or make a new banner-base central workpiece.
          However, as a practical problem to solve - and given the equipment I have at my disposal , available in my workshop, - I think I'd set the workpiece up under my floor-standing-pillar-drill, - very carefully "centred" and well clamped in place, and - with the drill running at the kind of slow speed I use for drilling metal, - enlarge first section of the bore with a Forstner bit to the max depth of the bit-shank; - then change to a newly-sharpened flat-bit of the same size, but a long-shank, and finish the boring from the same end with that.
          Enlarging the first section of the bore with a Forstner bit will make lining-up the flat-bit for the second "pass" much easier.
          I certainly wouldn't try enlarging the bore with a hand-held power-tool.
          And the problem I see with trying to use a plunge-router  and a cutter with a bottom bearing is the depth available for the "plunge", plus the second-"set-up" to come at the undersized bore from the other end. Our questioner needed to go to a 5- or 6- inch total depth, IIRC.

          In service to the medieval Dream,
          Matthew Baker
          in the SCA
          [aka Julian Wilson, in 2008]

        • Eric Hess
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
            <baronconal@...> wrote:

            > I've drilled a 1 1/4" hols into the center
            > section of a banner stand, using a spade bit
            > to about 5 inches deep
            >
            > The pole that were purchased for the banner
            > stands are 1 3/8 inch.
            >
            > Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
            > and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
            > off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
            > I know it's not that much
            >
            > Looking for something that is not so time
            > consuming that buying new poles is not
            > a better idea....
            >
            > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            >
            > Aude Aliquid Dignum
            > ' Dare Something Worthy '

            Personally, I'd use a router and a circular hole with a guide
            bushing. Double-stick tape it to the top, enlarge the hole, and with
            the newly created large circle, go in with a forstner bit and take it
            to the full size. A pattern bit should do the trick nicely.
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                as a practical problem....

                I could make them over.... Wouldn't be all that hard I just
                didn't want to waste the centers.

                Remember I did say 'easy' in the original question. There is
                a threshold for starting over. I'm just wondering if that point
                is where I think it is and was looking for other ideas. Something
                I may not have thought of.

                (  a detail I should have shared )
                I used a larger ( off the top of my head I do not recall the size )
                round-over router bit on the rim of the center hole already so
                there is not sharp edge to used to line up a router bit.

                I think I'm gonna plug the top of the hole and redrill with
                a new flat/spade bit ( I didn't have a 1 3/8" bit anyway so
                this was an excuse to buy a new one )

                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                  safest bet and sure to yield the best results.

                  regards

                  logan

                  "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
                  Harry S Truman

                  "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

                  Niccolo Machiavelli

                  www.ebonwoulfe.com

                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                    Well... let's see:

                    A: highly trained termites
                    B: rat-tail rasp
                    C: *really* careful work with a very narrow chisle
                    D: do that "shave the spoke" thing...  best option in my opinion

                    Of course... there is the semi-excessive path of making a thin tapered dowel on the ol' lathe and then doing that sand paper trick (with a hole drilled through the taper so that you can fix a shank in there to mount to your drill press)...

                    F: A combination of the semi-excessive path followed by careful application of "B" to remove the "hump" that would be left in the center of the bore..

                    ... ummm HOW thick is the piece you drilled undersized???

                    G: Laser (... ok... THAT is excessive... but would be cool...)
                    H: Ummm...  you could BURN IT with a heated rod of the right size...
                    I:  Use a twist bit and REAL careful centering of a well secured workpiece.   Center by mounting the original drill bit in the drill...  insert in existing hole...  clamp... remove existing... insert twist drill...  bore...

                    ... 'about all I can come up with at the moment...

                    ... of course, you could always accidently misplace the original piece and simply remake it... ;-)

                    J:  Ummm...  you could PLUG the orginal holes (glue in the plug)... and THEN re-drill...

                    ... nope... that's about it...  I'm kinda' out of ideas at this point...

                    K:  you could...  ummm... nope... that wouldn't work...  never mind...

                    Chas.
                  • Wolf
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                      On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

                      <snip>

                      > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
                      >

                      > Chas.

                      What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
                      mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
                      toothpicks...
                    • Royce
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                        That’d be real cool…

                        I’d buy those..  You can never find a good toothpick late at night when ya reeeaaaalllly need one…

                        Bercilak

                        On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

                        <snip>

                        > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
                        >

                        > Chas.

                        What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
                        mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
                        toothpicks...

                      • James Winkler
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                          … mind reader!!!     ;-)

                          Chas.

                          ==================

                          On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

                          <snip>

                          > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
                          >

                          > Chas.

                          What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
                          mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
                          toothpicks...

                        • Ted Kocot
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                            Just so I know, is this end grain we're cutting? Is it through or
                            stopped?

                            If you have a bit of the right size, I'd kind of use your idea, only
                            I'd cut a kerf in the end of my piece of dowel (and drill a hole
                            though the bottom) and then attach this plug to my drill bit. It will
                            have to be pretty carefully centered but it will save you having to
                            drill out all that wood twice.

                            If you don't have the drill bit, what I would try is making something
                            like a scratch stock out of a cheap Xacto-gouge blade and a piece of
                            one inch dowel.

                            Avery
                          • Alessandro dEste
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...>
                              wrote:

                              > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

                              > Chas.

                              Chas could you exsplain this.
                              Sandro
                            • James Winkler
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008

                                ;-)    The “spoke shave thing” I refered to was basically using a spoke shave to taper the ends of the dowels to fit the existing holes rather than enlarging the holes…   (-:    Not exactly the desired form of solution… but a practical one none the less…

                                Commercial tapered reamers *might* be useful… but most of them I’ve seen have a relatively sever taper…  my suggestion  for turning a taper was to make it gentle enough that, by working from both sides of the plank, you’d have minimal material in the center to remove  (running a taper in from both sides of the hole would create a bit of an “hourglass” effect on the hole.

                                Chas.

                                > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

                                > Chas.

                                Chas could you exsplain this.
                                Sandro

                              • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                                  Use a 1" drum sander chucked in a drill or a drill press.

                                  Or if you have some of the "old" pole, glue it into the old hole and then redrill.

                                  -Liam