enlarging a 1 1/4 inch hole

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
      I've drilled a 1 1/4" hols into the center
      section of a banner stand, using a spade bit
      to about 5 inches deep

      The pole that were purchased for the banner
      stands are 1 3/8 inch.

      Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
      and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
      off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
      I know it's not that much

      Looking for something that is not so time
      consuming that buying new poles is not
      a better idea....

    • Trevor Payne
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
        Shave off the pole ends to fit 1.25"

        or

        buy a 1 3/8" spade bit and enlarge the hole.

        Aiden

        "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
        --Benjamin Franklin--

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
          Thin down the poles with a spoke shave and mark "This end up" on the other end.

          Jamie Blackrose

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
            That would work or you could hold a piece of sandpaper in one hand, wrap it around the end of the pole and turn the pole like sharpening a pencil. 1/16 of an inch isn't much.

            Joseph Paul <josephnjody@...> wrote:
            Thin down the poles with a spoke shave and mark "This end up" on the other end.

            Jamie Blackrose
            I've drilled a 1 1/4" hols into the center
            section of a banner stand, using a spade bit
            to about 5 inches deep

            The pole that were purchased for the banner
            stands are 1 3/8 inch.

            Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
            and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
            off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
            I know it's not that much

            Looking for something that is not so time
            consuming that buying new poles is not
            a better idea....

            RdA
            Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
              If you don't want to shave the pole, I agree with the sandpaper
              suggestion. I'd probably grab a chisel with a broad sweep to clear
              the bulk of the material (should be pretty easy to clear 1/16) then
              finish up with sandpaper.

              Next stand, buy the poles before you drill... :)

              Eirikr

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
              <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

              > ... or you could hold a piece of sandpaper in one hand, wrap it
              around the end of the pole and turn the pole like sharpening a
              pencil. 1/16 of an inch isn't much.

            • dennis_elw
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
                Take a 1 1/4 inch dowel that will fit snug in the hole. Cut off
                about an inch and drill a centered 1/8 inch pilot hole through the
                piece. Saw a kerf across the diameter (through the pilot hole) about
                1/2 inch down the length of the dowel. The kerf needs to be just
                wide enough to accept the width of a 1 3/8 inch spade bit. Slip the
                spade bit into the kerf with the point in the pilot hole. (You
                should now have a plug with 1/16 of bit sticking out of each side.)
                Wax the dowel and drill away. You may not get all the way to the
                bottom and the plug may come off when you withdraw it but those are
                problems easily resolved. It works and you don't have to shave the
                poles.
                Good luck,
                Dennis

                <baronconal@...> wrote:

                > I've drilled a 1 1/4" hols into the center
                > section of a banner stand, using a spade bit
                > to about 5 inches deep
                >
                > The pole that were purchased for the banner
                > stands are 1 3/8 inch.
                >
                > Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
                > and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
                > off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
                > I know it's not that much
                >
                > Looking for something that is not so time
                > consuming that buying new poles is not
                > a better idea....
                >
                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                >
                > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                > ' Dare Something Worthy '

              • Wolf
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Ummmmmmmmm.......

                  Wasn't the original question to make the hole *larger*, not make the
                  pole *smaller*?

                  Or did I misunderstand Conal?

                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
                    I've thought of that.... I was hoping to find an easy way to
                    alter the hole instead of the pole....

                    What do you guys think about plugging the hole
                    with a piece of 1 1/4 and re-drilling?

                    I'm not very confident about using a 1 3/8 spade bit
                    without something for the point to hit and use as a
                    'guide' to help keep it from catching and tearing up
                    the hole....

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008

                      Next stand, buy the poles before you drill... :)

                      Eirikr

                      I do not know if he already had the poles
                      or if he thought he was buying 1 1/4 poles
                      or what....

                      He wanted to get the poles himself... I would have
                      for him, but......

                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 3, 2008
                        Yep, that is the way I understood it. I was suggesting using a
                        swept chisel to carve the hole *larger*, then smooth it out with
                        sandpaper.

                        YIS,
                        Eirikr

                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolfeyes@...> wrote:

                        > Ummmmmmmmm.......
                        >
                        > Wasn't the original question to make the hole *larger*, not make
                        the
                        > pole *smaller*?
                        >
                        > Or did I misunderstand Conal?
                        >
                        > On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 17:36 +0000, Eric wrote:
                        > > If you don't want to shave the pole, I agree with the sandpaper
                        > > suggestion. I'd probably grab a chisel with a broad sweep to
                        clear
                        > > the bulk of the material (should be pretty easy to clear 1/16)
                        then
                        > > finish up with sandpaper.
                        > >
                        > > Next stand, buy the poles before you drill... :)
                        > >
                        > > Eirikr

                      • Bill Mauldin
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
                          I would go with a drum sander on a portable drill. It might take a
                          little while but would be better than a drill bit that has nothing to
                          stabilize and keep it centered.

                          Geffrei Subject: [MedievalSawdust] enlarging a 1 1/4 inch hole
                          > I've drilled a 1 1/4" hols into the center
                          > section of a banner stand, using a spade bit
                          > to about 5 inches deep
                          > The pole that were purchased for the banner
                          > stands are 1 3/8 inch.
                          > Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
                          > and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
                          > off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
                          > I know it's not that much
                          >
                          > Looking for something that is not so time
                          > consuming that buying new poles is not
                          > a better idea....

                          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                        • Craig Robert Pierpont
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
                            Use a router bit with a bearing 1/16 smaller than the bit, like a rabbeting set-up. Enlarge the holes from one side about 1/2 the way through. Then use a flush trimming bit to do the other side. It's the way a medieval woodworker would have done it and no I can't document that. I just know it in my bones.

                            Craig Robert

                            Craig R. Pierpont
                            Another Era Lutherie
                            www.anotherera.com

                          • Alex Flinsch
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008

                              On Oct 3, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:

                              Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
                              and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
                              off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
                              I know it's not that much

                              If you have a set of hole saws, mount the 1 1/4 inch one inside of the 1 3/8 inch one (some sets will let you do this), and then use the smaller (inner) saw as a guide for the larger one.

                            • julian wilson
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 4, 2008
                                Um - my time is worth more to me than the cost of a replacement length of Dowelling.
                                So, if it was me, as a professional woodworker, I'd either replace the staff dowelling, or make a new banner-base central workpiece.
                                However, as a practical problem to solve - and given the equipment I have at my disposal , available in my workshop, - I think I'd set the workpiece up under my floor-standing-pillar-drill, - very carefully "centred" and well clamped in place, and - with the drill running at the kind of slow speed I use for drilling metal, - enlarge first section of the bore with a Forstner bit to the max depth of the bit-shank; - then change to a newly-sharpened flat-bit of the same size, but a long-shank, and finish the boring from the same end with that.
                                Enlarging the first section of the bore with a Forstner bit will make lining-up the flat-bit for the second "pass" much easier.
                                I certainly wouldn't try enlarging the bore with a hand-held power-tool.
                                And the problem I see with trying to use a plunge-router  and a cutter with a bottom bearing is the depth available for the "plunge", plus the second-"set-up" to come at the undersized bore from the other end. Our questioner needed to go to a 5- or 6- inch total depth, IIRC.

                                In service to the medieval Dream,
                                Matthew Baker
                                in the SCA
                                [aka Julian Wilson, in 2008]

                              • Eric Hess
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                                  <baronconal@...> wrote:

                                  > I've drilled a 1 1/4" hols into the center
                                  > section of a banner stand, using a spade bit
                                  > to about 5 inches deep
                                  >
                                  > The pole that were purchased for the banner
                                  > stands are 1 3/8 inch.
                                  >
                                  > Easy ideas for enlarging the hole? ( safely
                                  > and neatly? ) We are only talking about taking
                                  > off a 1/16 inch around the diameter of the hole.
                                  > I know it's not that much
                                  >
                                  > Looking for something that is not so time
                                  > consuming that buying new poles is not
                                  > a better idea....
                                  >
                                  > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                  >
                                  > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                                  > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                                  Personally, I'd use a router and a circular hole with a guide
                                  bushing. Double-stick tape it to the top, enlarge the hole, and with
                                  the newly created large circle, go in with a forstner bit and take it
                                  to the full size. A pattern bit should do the trick nicely.
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                                      as a practical problem....

                                      I could make them over.... Wouldn't be all that hard I just
                                      didn't want to waste the centers.

                                      Remember I did say 'easy' in the original question. There is
                                      a threshold for starting over. I'm just wondering if that point
                                      is where I think it is and was looking for other ideas. Something
                                      I may not have thought of.

                                      (  a detail I should have shared )
                                      I used a larger ( off the top of my head I do not recall the size )
                                      round-over router bit on the rim of the center hole already so
                                      there is not sharp edge to used to line up a router bit.

                                      I think I'm gonna plug the top of the hole and redrill with
                                      a new flat/spade bit ( I didn't have a 1 3/8" bit anyway so
                                      this was an excuse to buy a new one )

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                                        safest bet and sure to yield the best results.

                                        regards

                                        logan

                                        "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
                                        Harry S Truman

                                        "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

                                        Niccolo Machiavelli

                                        www.ebonwoulfe.com

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                                          Well... let's see:

                                          A: highly trained termites
                                          B: rat-tail rasp
                                          C: *really* careful work with a very narrow chisle
                                          D: do that "shave the spoke" thing...  best option in my opinion

                                          Of course... there is the semi-excessive path of making a thin tapered dowel on the ol' lathe and then doing that sand paper trick (with a hole drilled through the taper so that you can fix a shank in there to mount to your drill press)...

                                          F: A combination of the semi-excessive path followed by careful application of "B" to remove the "hump" that would be left in the center of the bore..

                                          ... ummm HOW thick is the piece you drilled undersized???

                                          G: Laser (... ok... THAT is excessive... but would be cool...)
                                          H: Ummm...  you could BURN IT with a heated rod of the right size...
                                          I:  Use a twist bit and REAL careful centering of a well secured workpiece.   Center by mounting the original drill bit in the drill...  insert in existing hole...  clamp... remove existing... insert twist drill...  bore...

                                          ... 'about all I can come up with at the moment...

                                          ... of course, you could always accidently misplace the original piece and simply remake it... ;-)

                                          J:  Ummm...  you could PLUG the orginal holes (glue in the plug)... and THEN re-drill...

                                          ... nope... that's about it...  I'm kinda' out of ideas at this point...

                                          K:  you could...  ummm... nope... that wouldn't work...  never mind...

                                          Chas.
                                        • Wolf
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008
                                            On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

                                            <snip>

                                            > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
                                            >

                                            > Chas.

                                            What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
                                            mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
                                            toothpicks...
                                          • Royce
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                                              That’d be real cool…

                                              I’d buy those..  You can never find a good toothpick late at night when ya reeeaaaalllly need one…

                                              Bercilak

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 5, 2008

                                                … mind reader!!!     ;-)

                                                Chas.

                                                ==================

                                                On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:42 -0500, James Winkler wrote:

                                                <snip>

                                                > K: you could... ummm... nope... that wouldn't work... never mind...
                                                >

                                                > Chas.

                                                What, a small thermo-nuclear device? That'd work, but if you
                                                mis-calculate just a tiny bit, all you'd end up with is glow-in-the-dark
                                                toothpicks...

                                              • Ted Kocot
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                  Just so I know, is this end grain we're cutting? Is it through or
                                                  stopped?

                                                  If you have a bit of the right size, I'd kind of use your idea, only
                                                  I'd cut a kerf in the end of my piece of dowel (and drill a hole
                                                  though the bottom) and then attach this plug to my drill bit. It will
                                                  have to be pretty carefully centered but it will save you having to
                                                  drill out all that wood twice.

                                                  If you don't have the drill bit, what I would try is making something
                                                  like a scratch stock out of a cheap Xacto-gouge blade and a piece of
                                                  one inch dowel.

                                                  Avery
                                                • Alessandro dEste
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...>
                                                    wrote:

                                                    > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

                                                    > Chas.

                                                    Chas could you exsplain this.
                                                    Sandro
                                                  • James Winkler
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008

                                                      ;-)    The “spoke shave thing” I refered to was basically using a spoke shave to taper the ends of the dowels to fit the existing holes rather than enlarging the holes…   (-:    Not exactly the desired form of solution… but a practical one none the less…

                                                      Commercial tapered reamers *might* be useful… but most of them I’ve seen have a relatively sever taper…  my suggestion  for turning a taper was to make it gentle enough that, by working from both sides of the plank, you’d have minimal material in the center to remove  (running a taper in from both sides of the hole would create a bit of an “hourglass” effect on the hole.

                                                      Chas.

                                                      > D: do that "shave the spoke" thing... best option in my opinion

                                                      > Chas.

                                                      Chas could you exsplain this.
                                                      Sandro

                                                    • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                        Use a 1" drum sander chucked in a drill or a drill press.

                                                        Or if you have some of the "old" pole, glue it into the old hole and then redrill.

                                                        -Liam