Re: [MedievalSawdust] Is this book any good?

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 25, 2008
      I probably shouldn't have said "the myth" since there are multiple misconceptions surrounding this chair.  In no particular order:

      1.  The original "Glastonbury Chair" is only one example of a style more common on the Continent in the late 15th and early 16th c - it is only called the "Glastonbury" style by Anglophones - and it is, in its current configuration, significantly different from all other examples.  (Much more complicated to build.)  As far as I can tell it is in fact unique.

      2.  It was substantially rebuilt in the early 1800s, before anyone documented it properly, and so we cannot be sure how it was assembled before that.  IOW its current state is partly 16th and partly 19th c, so it is an unreliable exemplar for period style.

      3.  It's almost universally called a folding chair, yet it does not fold.  This is probably the biggest myth.

      Just one man's opinions.  I think we had some discussions about it on this list before.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Robin Gallowglass wrote:

      This is the first I've heard of this myth, and it actually is the Glastonbury
      Chair that first attracted me to the book.  What is this myth?

    • Dave Ordway
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 25, 2008
        I have seen reference to the Glastonbury "style" chair being from the family of faldistorium or fauldstool.  I feel this may be in era as the only thing in common is the crossed leg design.  The Glastonbury does not fold nor was it designed to.  It does however disassemble which is handy for transporting it to events.

        Lagerstein

        From: robin@gallowglass. org
        Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:28:07 -0400

        > It also perpetuates the "Glastonbury Chair" myth, and the dubious 19th-c.
        > reconstruction of same... but that's another thread!

        This is the first I've heard of this myth, and it actually is the Glastonbury
        Chair that first attracted me to the book. What is this myth?

        > Cheers,
        > Colin

        Robin

      • Alex Haugland
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 26, 2008
          I am unsure what you mean by the glastonbury chair being unique...  When I was last in the UK, we drove around quite a bit and saw several chairs of this style in cathedrals and churches all around the UK...  I certainly can't speak for the provenance of those chairs and they may have been 19th or even 20th century copies of the period design...

          --Alysuandre Weldon d'Ath
          Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

          AlbionWood wrote:

          1.  The original "Glastonbury Chair" is only one example of a style more common on the Continent in the late 15th and early 16th c - it is only called the "Glastonbury" style by Anglophones - and it is, in its current configuration, significantly different from all other examples.  (Much more complicated to build.)  As far as I can tell it is in fact unique.

        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 26, 2008
            Gentles of the List,
            This humble veteran soldier can confirm that the so-named Glastonbury Chair was much-coped for Church furniture during the English "Gothick Revival", which saw so many English Churchs  "renovated & re-modelled" by eager Victorian Architects..
            For example, in St. Helier, Jersey, our late-19th Century Catholic-"cathedral" Church of St. Thomas. has at least two examples of that chair, which are known to have been supplied from Breton Furniture Makers when the Church was built around 1875 - being mentioned in the orginal Accounts of the fitting-out.

            Servus,
            Matthew Baker.

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 26, 2008
              There are a couple of unique aspects to the Glastonbury chair.  One is the carving - including the name of the man* it was made for, and the year.  It's extremely rare to find a date on medieval furniture, and AFAIK this is the sole specimen on which the owner's name appears.

              The other is the way the seat and back go together.  In all other examples of this style, the seat is narrower than the back, which allows the arms to be parallel.  The Glastonbury chair, as currently configured, has the seat wider than the back, so the arms must cant at an angle to the rest of the structure.  This greatly (and unnecessarily) complicates construction.

              There are thousands of copies of this chair in England, especially in the West and South.  Beginning in the Gothic Revival era of the 19th century, these came to be identified as a "church chair" and repros were furnished to churches and cathedrals for all kinds of uses.

              * A monk of Glastonbury, John Arthur Thorne.  He was later hanged, along with the Abbot.

              Cheers,
              Colin