RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Medieval Folding Bed Project

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 18, 2008
      So far we have used the bed one time, and here are my findings.

      We used Oak Veneered plywood for the primary wood. Lots and Lots of hinges in this project!!!!!!!!!!

      After making adjustments for the typical sized Full and Queen sized mattresses, I found that I made a slight error calculating the bed side lengths and forgot to allow for a 3/4" difference because of hinge placement. It still folds up but not as straight and pretty as in the pictures. Also to allow for the clearance of the side rails that hold the slats up, I made another miscalculation on the middle legs, so they are a tad short. I will remake these and the bed will be fine.

      We slept in the bed at Fall Coronation a few weeks back, and found that me being a 6 foot tall guy, I stick out past the end of the mattress, putting my feet up on the footboard. This was of course uncomfortable, so I will be cutting the footboard in half lengthwise, and putting some hinges on the piece so that when assembled I can fold down the footboard and let my feet hang off the end. We got by, by laying a sleeping bag over the edge making it more comfortable.

      We have a friend who can Laser engrave a piece of wood 12x24 inches so we will be adding a design to the headboard. The wife also wants me to add the canopy to the bed like the picture. So I will be working on that next.

      All in all, the bed is nice, folds up nicely, all the pieces fit in the box/bed when closed up, with plenty of room for more stuff, like the canopy, and maybe even some mosquito netting (for the woods of Florida :)

      I will post the pictures soon.

      Gavin Kinkade
      Marcaster Hospitaller
      (mka George Oakes)