Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: looking for specific knock downm hardware

  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoo)
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
      For what you were trying to make, it would seem a sliding dovetail would be perfect. Easy enough
      to slide out for storage and enough friction to keep the legs from sliding off the base. Oh, and
      it uses a documented medieval assembly joint.

      I built the brackets that attach my headboard to my Gokstad bed frame using sliding dovetails.
      The bracket has a pair of legs that make it look like a tuning fork with one face slanting back
      at the end of the tuning fingers. That section was routed using a dovetail router bit so it
      slides into a matching dovetail on the back of the headboard. Allows the bed to pack down to a
      stack of lumber easily mounted on the roof rack.

      I've seen several older hat/coat racks with their legs assembled using the sliding dovetails.
      Even plywood legs would work OK with this, though real wood would hold up better.

      Haraldr Bassi, Bjornsborg, Ansteorra (formerly Frosted Hills, East)

      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
      > I use some that are just like those for beds ( from Rockler.com )
      >
      > They do not stay together as well for things that you would pick up
      > and move around. They depend on the weight of the bed rails and
      > the mattress to help hold them together. But for what they do they
      > work great!
      >
      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      > Aude Aliquid Dignum
      > ' Dare Something Worthy '

    • Terri Morgan
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
        Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
        > I use some that are just like those for beds ( from Rockler.com )
        >
        > They do not stay together as well for things that you would pick up
        > and move around. They depend on the weight of the bed rails and the
        > mattress to help hold them together. But for what they do they work
        > great!

        We have some somewhat like those too, with the same problem. We solved it by
        drilling a small hole in the post above the point where the bed rails meshed
        with the legs/posts and setting a thick nail in the hole after the rail was
        in place. I can pick that sucker up and drag it all over uneven ground with
        no problems now except maybe dropping a pillow or two. For tear down, we
        just pull the nails back out.

        Hrothny
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
          Sliding dovetails would be great and period
          and the banner stand would then take me more
          time than people are willing to pay for. These clips
          take all of about 10 minutes to install ( all 6 of them )
          including the routing and drilling...

          I do want to try it that way at some point though....