Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: looking for specific knock downm hardware

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
      sorry
      www.mod-eez.com .....

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, September 5, 2008 9:56:34 AM
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: looking for specific knock downm hardware

      --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, nelsonhaynes@ ... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/29/2008 10:23:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > baronconal@. .. writes:
      >
      > http://i147. http://i147. http://i147http: //i147.<WBRhttp://i147.<Whtt
      >

      > Try Lee Valley. They sell threaded inserts.
      > _http://www.leevalle y.com/hardware/ index.aspx? c=2_
      (http://www.leevalle y.com/hardware/ index.aspx? c=2)

      > Nigel

      there was a patent number on the clip part

      AND

      I got lucky and found the manufacturer. ..

      www.mode-eez. com

    • Jim Hart
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
        > AND
        >
        > I got lucky and found the manufacturer. ..
        >
        > www.mod-eez.com

        Just got off the phone with them.

        SUPER friendly!

        They are sending me some samples of
        their other products.

        These clips and the other stuff that they
        sell look like they could be VERY useful
        for SCA stuff that could be disassembled
        and packed easily....
      • Jeff Johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
          Spiff.

          Here's another set from a retailer:

          http://tinyurl.com/6cyhr2

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Hart" <baronconal@...> wrote:

          > > AND
          > >
          > > I got lucky and found the manufacturer. ..
          > >
          > > www.mod-eez.com
          > >

          > Just got off the phone with them.
          >
          > SUPER friendly!
          >
          > They are sending me some samples of
          > their other products.
          >
          > These clips and the other stuff that they
          > sell look like they could be VERY useful
          > for SCA stuff that could be disassembled
          > and packed easily....

        • Barbara
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
            We used these with great success on a pair of Baronial thrones. They are
            completely invisable when the chair is assembled. A picture can be seen
            here: http://www.wolfandtiger.com/throne.html

            Mir!
            Tatjana

            "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

            Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
            http://www.wolfandtiger.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2008
              I use some that are just like those for beds ( from Rockler.com )

              They do not stay together as well for things that you would pick up
              and move around. They depend on the weight of the bed rails and
              the mattress to help hold them together. But for what they do they
              work great!

              > > I got lucky and found the manufacturer. ..
              > >
              > > www.mod-eez. com
              > >

              > Just got off the phone with them.
              >
              > SUPER friendly!
              >
              > They are sending me some samples of
              > their other products.
              >
              > These clips and the other stuff that they
              > sell look like they could be VERY useful
              > for SCA stuff that could be disassembled
              > and packed easily....

            • Haraldr Bassi (yahoo)
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
                For what you were trying to make, it would seem a sliding dovetail would be perfect. Easy enough
                to slide out for storage and enough friction to keep the legs from sliding off the base. Oh, and
                it uses a documented medieval assembly joint.

                I built the brackets that attach my headboard to my Gokstad bed frame using sliding dovetails.
                The bracket has a pair of legs that make it look like a tuning fork with one face slanting back
                at the end of the tuning fingers. That section was routed using a dovetail router bit so it
                slides into a matching dovetail on the back of the headboard. Allows the bed to pack down to a
                stack of lumber easily mounted on the roof rack.

                I've seen several older hat/coat racks with their legs assembled using the sliding dovetails.
                Even plywood legs would work OK with this, though real wood would hold up better.

                Haraldr Bassi, Bjornsborg, Ansteorra (formerly Frosted Hills, East)

                Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                > I use some that are just like those for beds ( from Rockler.com )
                >
                > They do not stay together as well for things that you would pick up
                > and move around. They depend on the weight of the bed rails and
                > the mattress to help hold them together. But for what they do they
                > work great!
                >
                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                >
                > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                > ' Dare Something Worthy '

              • Terri Morgan
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
                  Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                  > I use some that are just like those for beds ( from Rockler.com )
                  >
                  > They do not stay together as well for things that you would pick up
                  > and move around. They depend on the weight of the bed rails and the
                  > mattress to help hold them together. But for what they do they work
                  > great!

                  We have some somewhat like those too, with the same problem. We solved it by
                  drilling a small hole in the post above the point where the bed rails meshed
                  with the legs/posts and setting a thick nail in the hole after the rail was
                  in place. I can pick that sucker up and drag it all over uneven ground with
                  no problems now except maybe dropping a pillow or two. For tear down, we
                  just pull the nails back out.

                  Hrothny
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
                    Sliding dovetails would be great and period
                    and the banner stand would then take me more
                    time than people are willing to pay for. These clips
                    take all of about 10 minutes to install ( all 6 of them )
                    including the routing and drilling...

                    I do want to try it that way at some point though....