Re: Medieval Folding Bed Project

  • George Oakes
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2008
      Finished assembly, traveled to Fall Coronation, set up our new 10x12
      wall tent, unfolded bed, assembled and laid the 8" Futton mattres on
      the frame. I was surprised at how sturdy the bed was! It was extremly
      comfortable except for the fact I hung over the end of the bed.
      I am making a modification to the bed and cutting the footboard
      lengthwise and hinging it so that it can be folded down after setup so
      long people like me wont be bothered by the foot board. Other than that
      no pics were taken set up as we have yet to stain and finish the bed,
      which I will be doing shortly. Then pics assembled, in set-up mode, and
      fully assembled. My wife also wishes me to add a canopy to the frame
      some I will be making those mods as well.

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Oakes" <goakes@...>
      wrote:

      > OK, I got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the point
      > where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn
      > hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO Home
    • tigurgurl03
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2008
        May I ask where you found the plans m'lord?

        Catherine Vallemont

        wrote:

        > Finished assembly, traveled to Fall Coronation, set up our new
        10x12
        > wall tent, unfolded bed, assembled and laid the 8" Futton mattres
        on
        > the frame. I was surprised at how sturdy the bed was! It was
        extremly
        > comfortable except for the fact I hung over the end of the bed.
        > I am making a modification to the bed and cutting the footboard
        > lengthwise and hinging it so that it can be folded down after setup
        so
        > long people like me wont be bothered by the foot board. Other than
        that
        > no pics were taken set up as we have yet to stain and finish the
        bed,
        > which I will be doing shortly. Then pics assembled, in set-up mode,
        and
        > fully assembled. My wife also wishes me to add a canopy to the
        frame
        > some I will be making those mods as well.
        >

        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Oakes" <goakes@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > OK, I got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the
        point
        > > where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn
        > > hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO

      • Oakes, George
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2008
          I found the plans on the yahoo group, medieval encampments at the following URL

          you do have to modify them to fit a standard mattress, I modified them for Full and Queen sized mattresses.

          href="mailto:medievalsawdust%40yahoogroups.com">medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "George Oakes" <goakes@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > OK, I
          got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the
          point

          where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn

          hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO

        • Joseph Paul
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2008
            Neat project.
            Can someone point me to the provenance for this bed?

            Thanks!
            Jamie Blackrose

            wrote:

            > Finished assembly, traveled to Fall Coronation, set up our new
            10x12
            > wall tent, unfolded bed, assembled and laid the 8" Futton mattres
            on
            > the frame. I was surprised at how sturdy the bed was! It was
            extremly
            > comfortable except for the fact I hung over the end of the bed.
            > I am making a modification to the bed and cutting the footboard
            > lengthwise and hinging it so that it can be folded down after setup
            so
            > long people like me wont be bothered by the foot board. Other than
            that
            > no pics were taken set up as we have yet to stain and finish the
            bed,
            > which I will be doing shortly. Then pics assembled, in set-up mode,
            and
            > fully assembled. My wife also wishes me to add a canopy to the
            frame
            > some I will be making those mods as well.
            >

            > --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "George Oakes" <goakes@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > OK, I got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the
            point
            > > where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn
            > > hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO

          • Lisa Wiser
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 17, 2008
              Jaime -

              If you go to the photo section of the list, under the folder CHEST BED
              by jrobmay --- there is a phtograph of a bed from 1580

              Lia

              Joseph Paul wrote:

              > Neat project.
              > Can someone point me to the provenance for this bed?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Jamie Blackrose
              >
              > -----
              >
              > .

            • Oakes, George
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 18, 2008
                So far we have used the bed one time, and here are my findings.

                We used Oak Veneered plywood for the primary wood. Lots and Lots of hinges in this project!!!!!!!!!!

                After making adjustments for the typical sized Full and Queen sized mattresses, I found that I made a slight error calculating the bed side lengths and forgot to allow for a 3/4" difference because of hinge placement. It still folds up but not as straight and pretty as in the pictures. Also to allow for the clearance of the side rails that hold the slats up, I made another miscalculation on the middle legs, so they are a tad short. I will remake these and the bed will be fine.

                We slept in the bed at Fall Coronation a few weeks back, and found that me being a 6 foot tall guy, I stick out past the end of the mattress, putting my feet up on the footboard. This was of course uncomfortable, so I will be cutting the footboard in half lengthwise, and putting some hinges on the piece so that when assembled I can fold down the footboard and let my feet hang off the end. We got by, by laying a sleeping bag over the edge making it more comfortable.

                We have a friend who can Laser engrave a piece of wood 12x24 inches so we will be adding a design to the headboard. The wife also wants me to add the canopy to the bed like the picture. So I will be working on that next.

                All in all, the bed is nice, folds up nicely, all the pieces fit in the box/bed when closed up, with plenty of room for more stuff, like the canopy, and maybe even some mosquito netting (for the woods of Florida :)

                I will post the pictures soon.

                Gavin Kinkade
                Marcaster Hospitaller
                (mka George Oakes)