Re: Mitre Saw Stand

  • Chas
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
      I recently purchased a Rigid Dual compaound 12" Miter saw and the
      MSUV from my local Homeless Despot adn while I'm happy with teh saw
      the Stand is another story. It is also quite different than the one
      Logan has linked to.

      http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
      storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100618245

      Specifically I'm not happy with the stability of the stand itself and
      the extensions are even worse. The legs drop down fine but the spring
      loaded pin that releases the leg to rotate back in was broken upon it
      arrival to me. As if someone had bought it, broken it, packed it back
      up and returned it? I called Riogid and got replacement parts but
      upon disassembly found I need more parts than what they sent me. So
      for now it's not fixed. I also feel that the stand weighs more than
      the saw and that makes this less than portable. It's nice to be able
      to break it down to store it but setting it up for one or two cuts
      seems a hassle right now. I was sold on features at the store but
      disappointed on the actuality of the stand once I got it home. For
      the money I'll make it work. I also did not get the rebate as I had
      to send the recipt in to get the replacement parts under warranty and
      it took close to 3 months to get them. Overall I love the saw and
      I'll make the stand work.

      Valentine Lyme

      (amateur wood butcher)

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "logan" <logan@...> wrote:

      > i currently use the ridgid stand and have nothing but good things
      to say
      > about it. the deadmen on either side extend and allow me to
      support 12'
      > boards (cutting near the center of the board). it folds down with
      two
      > simple lever pulls and it is very lightweight. it has, i think,
      the largest
      > wheels on the market which makes rough terrain or stairs a piece of
      cake as
      > well. this is one i use currently:
      > http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Miter-Saw-Utility-Vehicle/EN/index.htm
      >

      > regards
      >
      > logan
      >

      > "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they
      thought it was
      > hell."
      > Harry S Truman
      >

      > "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that
      his
      > vengeance need not be feared"
      >
      > Niccolo Machiavelli
      >
      > www.ebonwoulfe.com
      >
      > _____

      Lee
      > Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:44 AM
      > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Mitre Saw Stand
      >

      > If you want a foldup & fit in a car type of stand, I'd go for the
      > current Bosch stand, which is just slightly better than the Dewalt.
      > Both telescope their extension wings inside the main box girder, I
      > think the Bosch is neater, and the Bosch comes with wheels as well
      as
      > a carry handle, the Dewalt is carry only. The Bosch has a slightly
      > better quick attachment system for the saw and it has a system for
      > setting repeat cutoff lengths standard in the box. As you may guess
      > have been in the market for such a stand & spent the best part of a
      > day at a wood 'show' looking at saw stands - only the Bosch &
      Dewalt
      > were standouts, the Makita came in 3rd. No one was showing the HTC
      > saw stand, which looks nice on the 'net, but I didn't get to play
      with one.

      > Most of the others were knockoffs of the older Makita stand or the
      > HTC and were generally of inferior materials & construction.
      >
      > As I'm not currently travelling with my saw, I ended up building a
      > wide cabinet base full of drawers with casters - this keeps
      > everything out of the water that occasionally flows thru' the shop,
      > the saw 'stores' on top, I have room in a drawer for my
      > planer/thicknesser plus room for a bunch of portable tools in the
      > other drawers. As yet I have not made & fitted the folding 'wings'
      > with cutoff stops - one day ;-) I'm still thinking of getting a
      > portable stand so I can set up outside when it suits me.
      >
      > regards
      > Brusi of Orkney
      > Rowany/Lochac
      > Sydney Australia
      >
      > At 03:16 AM 31/08/2008, you wrote:
      > >Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?
      > >
      > >Thanks!
      > >

      > >Caley

    • Ron Jachim
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
        I'm building one like this:

        http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/miter-saw-station/

        It will still end up on a roll around shop cart most of the time, but
        I could haul it around and set it up on anything
      • Jim Engebretson
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008

          I also need a miter saw stand. I’m deciding on either buying the Rockler 28” leg table or just build one.  Over the years, Shopnotes magazine issues had several plans throughout the years. The first question that I would ask is whether or not the stand needs to be portable for transporting to job sites or will it be for a hobby shop. Second question – locking wheels or no wheels. You may also want to look at Fine Woodworking web site.

          Jim Engebretson

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
            For me, one of the key features for a miter saw stand is the support
            for long stock. This thread got me looking at what's available, since
            I never seem to get around to building the rolling stand that I've got
            plans for.

            What weems to be a good deal in folding "portable" miter saw stands is
            the Grizzly H7657. The extensions seem sturdier than other offerings
            and the price is pretty good. Like most Grizzly products, it might be
            a little heavy for some, but that usually comes with durability.

            http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7657

            Yours in Service,
            Eirikr
            aka Eric