Re: Mitre Saw Stand

  • kirkdrago
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
      I took a Sears tool cart, the kind that have just a top and bottom
      bin, no drawers. I put a mini table (for lack of a better
      description) in the top bin so it was flush with the top, and put my
      mitre on it. I can wheel it around as necessary, its got locking
      wheels, and seems to be quite sturdy. I use the bottom bin for jig
      storage.

      Kirk

      > At 03:16 AM 31/08/2008, you wrote:
      > >Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?
      > >
      > >Thanks!
      > >

      > >Caley

    • Chas
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
        I recently purchased a Rigid Dual compaound 12" Miter saw and the
        MSUV from my local Homeless Despot adn while I'm happy with teh saw
        the Stand is another story. It is also quite different than the one
        Logan has linked to.

        http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
        storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100618245

        Specifically I'm not happy with the stability of the stand itself and
        the extensions are even worse. The legs drop down fine but the spring
        loaded pin that releases the leg to rotate back in was broken upon it
        arrival to me. As if someone had bought it, broken it, packed it back
        up and returned it? I called Riogid and got replacement parts but
        upon disassembly found I need more parts than what they sent me. So
        for now it's not fixed. I also feel that the stand weighs more than
        the saw and that makes this less than portable. It's nice to be able
        to break it down to store it but setting it up for one or two cuts
        seems a hassle right now. I was sold on features at the store but
        disappointed on the actuality of the stand once I got it home. For
        the money I'll make it work. I also did not get the rebate as I had
        to send the recipt in to get the replacement parts under warranty and
        it took close to 3 months to get them. Overall I love the saw and
        I'll make the stand work.

        Valentine Lyme

        (amateur wood butcher)

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "logan" <logan@...> wrote:

        > i currently use the ridgid stand and have nothing but good things
        to say
        > about it. the deadmen on either side extend and allow me to
        support 12'
        > boards (cutting near the center of the board). it folds down with
        two
        > simple lever pulls and it is very lightweight. it has, i think,
        the largest
        > wheels on the market which makes rough terrain or stairs a piece of
        cake as
        > well. this is one i use currently:
        > http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Miter-Saw-Utility-Vehicle/EN/index.htm
        >

        > regards
        >
        > logan
        >

        > "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they
        thought it was
        > hell."
        > Harry S Truman
        >

        > "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that
        his
        > vengeance need not be feared"
        >
        > Niccolo Machiavelli
        >
        > www.ebonwoulfe.com
        >
        > _____

        Lee
        > Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:44 AM
        > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Mitre Saw Stand
        >

        > If you want a foldup & fit in a car type of stand, I'd go for the
        > current Bosch stand, which is just slightly better than the Dewalt.
        > Both telescope their extension wings inside the main box girder, I
        > think the Bosch is neater, and the Bosch comes with wheels as well
        as
        > a carry handle, the Dewalt is carry only. The Bosch has a slightly
        > better quick attachment system for the saw and it has a system for
        > setting repeat cutoff lengths standard in the box. As you may guess
        > have been in the market for such a stand & spent the best part of a
        > day at a wood 'show' looking at saw stands - only the Bosch &
        Dewalt
        > were standouts, the Makita came in 3rd. No one was showing the HTC
        > saw stand, which looks nice on the 'net, but I didn't get to play
        with one.

        > Most of the others were knockoffs of the older Makita stand or the
        > HTC and were generally of inferior materials & construction.
        >
        > As I'm not currently travelling with my saw, I ended up building a
        > wide cabinet base full of drawers with casters - this keeps
        > everything out of the water that occasionally flows thru' the shop,
        > the saw 'stores' on top, I have room in a drawer for my
        > planer/thicknesser plus room for a bunch of portable tools in the
        > other drawers. As yet I have not made & fitted the folding 'wings'
        > with cutoff stops - one day ;-) I'm still thinking of getting a
        > portable stand so I can set up outside when it suits me.
        >
        > regards
        > Brusi of Orkney
        > Rowany/Lochac
        > Sydney Australia
        >
        > At 03:16 AM 31/08/2008, you wrote:
        > >Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?
        > >
        > >Thanks!
        > >

        > >Caley

      • Ron Jachim
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
          I'm building one like this:

          http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/miter-saw-station/

          It will still end up on a roll around shop cart most of the time, but
          I could haul it around and set it up on anything
        • Jim Engebretson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008

            I also need a miter saw stand. I’m deciding on either buying the Rockler 28” leg table or just build one.  Over the years, Shopnotes magazine issues had several plans throughout the years. The first question that I would ask is whether or not the stand needs to be portable for transporting to job sites or will it be for a hobby shop. Second question – locking wheels or no wheels. You may also want to look at Fine Woodworking web site.

            Jim Engebretson

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
              For me, one of the key features for a miter saw stand is the support
              for long stock. This thread got me looking at what's available, since
              I never seem to get around to building the rolling stand that I've got
              plans for.

              What weems to be a good deal in folding "portable" miter saw stands is
              the Grizzly H7657. The extensions seem sturdier than other offerings
              and the price is pretty good. Like most Grizzly products, it might be
              a little heavy for some, but that usually comes with durability.

              http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7657

              Yours in Service,
              Eirikr
              aka Eric