Re: [MedievalSawdust] looking for specific knock downm hardware

  • nelsonhaynes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
      In a message dated 8/29/2008 10:23:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, baronconal@... writes:
      http://i147. photobucket. com/albums/ r295/ConalOhAirt /bannerstand1. jpg
      Try Lee Valley. They sell threaded inserts. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/index.aspx?c=2

      Nigel

    • Jim Hart
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, nelsonhaynes@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/29/2008 10:23:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > baronconal@... writes:
        >
        > http://i147.http://i147.http://i147http://i147.<WBRhttp://i147.<Whtt
        >

        > Try Lee Valley. They sell threaded inserts.
        > _http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/index.aspx?c=2_
        (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/index.aspx?c=2)

        > Nigel

        there was a patent number on the clip part

        AND

        I got lucky and found the manufacturer...

        www.mode-eez.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
          sorry
          www.mod-eez.com .....

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
            > AND
            >
            > I got lucky and found the manufacturer. ..
            >
            > www.mod-eez.com

            Just got off the phone with them.

            SUPER friendly!

            They are sending me some samples of
            their other products.

            These clips and the other stuff that they
            sell look like they could be VERY useful
            for SCA stuff that could be disassembled
            and packed easily....
          • Jeff Johnson
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
              Spiff.

              Here's another set from a retailer:

              http://tinyurl.com/6cyhr2

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Hart" <baronconal@...> wrote:

              > > AND
              > >
              > > I got lucky and found the manufacturer. ..
              > >
              > > www.mod-eez.com
              > >

              > Just got off the phone with them.
              >
              > SUPER friendly!
              >
              > They are sending me some samples of
              > their other products.
              >
              > These clips and the other stuff that they
              > sell look like they could be VERY useful
              > for SCA stuff that could be disassembled
              > and packed easily....

            • Barbara
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                We used these with great success on a pair of Baronial thrones. They are
                completely invisable when the chair is assembled. A picture can be seen
                here: http://www.wolfandtiger.com/throne.html

                Mir!
                Tatjana

                "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

                Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
                http://www.wolfandtiger.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2008
                  I use some that are just like those for beds ( from Rockler.com )

                  They do not stay together as well for things that you would pick up
                  and move around. They depend on the weight of the bed rails and
                  the mattress to help hold them together. But for what they do they
                  work great!

                  > > I got lucky and found the manufacturer. ..
                  > >
                  > > www.mod-eez. com
                  > >

                  > Just got off the phone with them.
                  >
                  > SUPER friendly!
                  >
                  > They are sending me some samples of
                  > their other products.
                  >
                  > These clips and the other stuff that they
                  > sell look like they could be VERY useful
                  > for SCA stuff that could be disassembled
                  > and packed easily....

                • Haraldr Bassi (yahoo)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
                    For what you were trying to make, it would seem a sliding dovetail would be perfect. Easy enough
                    to slide out for storage and enough friction to keep the legs from sliding off the base. Oh, and
                    it uses a documented medieval assembly joint.

                    I built the brackets that attach my headboard to my Gokstad bed frame using sliding dovetails.
                    The bracket has a pair of legs that make it look like a tuning fork with one face slanting back
                    at the end of the tuning fingers. That section was routed using a dovetail router bit so it
                    slides into a matching dovetail on the back of the headboard. Allows the bed to pack down to a
                    stack of lumber easily mounted on the roof rack.

                    I've seen several older hat/coat racks with their legs assembled using the sliding dovetails.
                    Even plywood legs would work OK with this, though real wood would hold up better.

                    Haraldr Bassi, Bjornsborg, Ansteorra (formerly Frosted Hills, East)

                    Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                    > I use some that are just like those for beds ( from Rockler.com )
                    >
                    > They do not stay together as well for things that you would pick up
                    > and move around. They depend on the weight of the bed rails and
                    > the mattress to help hold them together. But for what they do they
                    > work great!
                    >
                    > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    >
                    > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                    > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                  • Terri Morgan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
                      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                      > I use some that are just like those for beds ( from Rockler.com )
                      >
                      > They do not stay together as well for things that you would pick up
                      > and move around. They depend on the weight of the bed rails and the
                      > mattress to help hold them together. But for what they do they work
                      > great!

                      We have some somewhat like those too, with the same problem. We solved it by
                      drilling a small hole in the post above the point where the bed rails meshed
                      with the legs/posts and setting a thick nail in the hole after the rail was
                      in place. I can pick that sucker up and drag it all over uneven ground with
                      no problems now except maybe dropping a pillow or two. For tear down, we
                      just pull the nails back out.

                      Hrothny
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
                        Sliding dovetails would be great and period
                        and the banner stand would then take me more
                        time than people are willing to pay for. These clips
                        take all of about 10 minutes to install ( all 6 of them )
                        including the routing and drilling...

                        I do want to try it that way at some point though....