Mitre Saw Stand

  • Caley Woulfe
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2008
      Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?

      Thanks!

      Caley
    • Keith Dombrowski
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2008
        I have the Dewalt DW723 stand. It's expensive, but VERY stable and works
        with just about any miter saw.

        http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=3150

        -Keith

        Caley Woulfe wrote:
        > Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >

        > Caley

      • Bruce S. R. Lee
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 31, 2008
          If you want a foldup & fit in a car type of stand, I'd go for the
          current Bosch stand, which is just slightly better than the Dewalt.
          Both telescope their extension wings inside the main box girder, I
          think the Bosch is neater, and the Bosch comes with wheels as well as
          a carry handle, the Dewalt is carry only. The Bosch has a slightly
          better quick attachment system for the saw and it has a system for
          setting repeat cutoff lengths standard in the box. As you may guess I
          have been in the market for such a stand & spent the best part of a
          day at a wood 'show' looking at saw stands - only the Bosch & Dewalt
          were standouts, the Makita came in 3rd. No one was showing the HTC
          saw stand, which looks nice on the 'net, but I didn't get to play with one.

          Most of the others were knockoffs of the older Makita stand or the
          HTC and were generally of inferior materials & construction.

          As I'm not currently travelling with my saw, I ended up building a
          wide cabinet base full of drawers with casters - this keeps
          everything out of the water that occasionally flows thru' the shop,
          the saw 'stores' on top, I have room in a drawer for my
          planer/thicknesser plus room for a bunch of portable tools in the
          other drawers. As yet I have not made & fitted the folding 'wings'
          with cutoff stops - one day ;-) I'm still thinking of getting a
          portable stand so I can set up outside when it suits me.

          regards
          Brusi of Orkney
          Rowany/Lochac
          Sydney Australia

          At 03:16 AM 31/08/2008, you wrote:
          >Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?
          >
          >Thanks!
          >

          >Caley
        • logan
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2008

            i currently use the ridgid stand and have nothing but good things to say about it.  the deadmen on either side extend and allow me to support 12’ boards (cutting near the center of the board).  it folds down with two simple lever pulls and it is very lightweight.  it has, i think, the largest wheels on the market which makes rough terrain or stairs a piece of cake as well.  this is one i use currently:  http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Miter-Saw-Utility-Vehicle/EN/index.htm

            regards

            logan

            "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
            Harry S Truman

            "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

            Niccolo Machiavelli

            www.ebonwoulfe.com

            If you want a foldup & fit in a car type of stand, I'd go for the
            current Bosch stand, which is just slightly better than the Dewalt.
            Both telescope their extension wings inside the main box girder, I
            think the Bosch is neater, and the Bosch comes with wheels as well as
            a carry handle, the Dewalt is carry only. The Bosch has a slightly
            better quick attachment system for the saw and it has a system for
            setting repeat cutoff lengths standard in the box. As you may guess I
            have been in the market for such a stand & spent the best part of a
            day at a wood 'show' looking at saw stands - only the Bosch & Dewalt
            were standouts, the Makita came in 3rd. No one was showing the HTC
            saw stand, which looks nice on the 'net, but I didn't get to play with one.

            Most of the others were knockoffs of the older Makita stand or the
            HTC and were generally of inferior materials & construction.

            As I'm not currently travelling with my saw, I ended up building a
            wide cabinet base full of drawers with casters - this keeps
            everything out of the water that occasionally flows thru' the shop,
            the saw 'stores' on top, I have room in a drawer for my
            planer/thicknesser plus room for a bunch of portable tools in the
            other drawers. As yet I have not made & fitted the folding 'wings'
            with cutoff stops - one day ;-) I'm still thinking of getting a
            portable stand so I can set up outside when it suits me.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney
            Rowany/Lochac
            Sydney Australia

            At 03:16 AM 31/08/2008, you wrote:

            >Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?
            >
            >Thanks!
            >

            >Caley

          • kirkdrago
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
              I took a Sears tool cart, the kind that have just a top and bottom
              bin, no drawers. I put a mini table (for lack of a better
              description) in the top bin so it was flush with the top, and put my
              mitre on it. I can wheel it around as necessary, its got locking
              wheels, and seems to be quite sturdy. I use the bottom bin for jig
              storage.

              Kirk

              > At 03:16 AM 31/08/2008, you wrote:
              > >Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?
              > >
              > >Thanks!
              > >

              > >Caley

            • Chas
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
                I recently purchased a Rigid Dual compaound 12" Miter saw and the
                MSUV from my local Homeless Despot adn while I'm happy with teh saw
                the Stand is another story. It is also quite different than the one
                Logan has linked to.

                http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
                storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100618245

                Specifically I'm not happy with the stability of the stand itself and
                the extensions are even worse. The legs drop down fine but the spring
                loaded pin that releases the leg to rotate back in was broken upon it
                arrival to me. As if someone had bought it, broken it, packed it back
                up and returned it? I called Riogid and got replacement parts but
                upon disassembly found I need more parts than what they sent me. So
                for now it's not fixed. I also feel that the stand weighs more than
                the saw and that makes this less than portable. It's nice to be able
                to break it down to store it but setting it up for one or two cuts
                seems a hassle right now. I was sold on features at the store but
                disappointed on the actuality of the stand once I got it home. For
                the money I'll make it work. I also did not get the rebate as I had
                to send the recipt in to get the replacement parts under warranty and
                it took close to 3 months to get them. Overall I love the saw and
                I'll make the stand work.

                Valentine Lyme

                (amateur wood butcher)

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "logan" <logan@...> wrote:

                > i currently use the ridgid stand and have nothing but good things
                to say
                > about it. the deadmen on either side extend and allow me to
                support 12'
                > boards (cutting near the center of the board). it folds down with
                two
                > simple lever pulls and it is very lightweight. it has, i think,
                the largest
                > wheels on the market which makes rough terrain or stairs a piece of
                cake as
                > well. this is one i use currently:
                > http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Miter-Saw-Utility-Vehicle/EN/index.htm
                >

                > regards
                >
                > logan
                >

                > "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they
                thought it was
                > hell."
                > Harry S Truman
                >

                > "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that
                his
                > vengeance need not be feared"
                >
                > Niccolo Machiavelli
                >
                > www.ebonwoulfe.com
                >
                > _____

                Lee
                > Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:44 AM
                > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Mitre Saw Stand
                >

                > If you want a foldup & fit in a car type of stand, I'd go for the
                > current Bosch stand, which is just slightly better than the Dewalt.
                > Both telescope their extension wings inside the main box girder, I
                > think the Bosch is neater, and the Bosch comes with wheels as well
                as
                > a carry handle, the Dewalt is carry only. The Bosch has a slightly
                > better quick attachment system for the saw and it has a system for
                > setting repeat cutoff lengths standard in the box. As you may guess
                > have been in the market for such a stand & spent the best part of a
                > day at a wood 'show' looking at saw stands - only the Bosch &
                Dewalt
                > were standouts, the Makita came in 3rd. No one was showing the HTC
                > saw stand, which looks nice on the 'net, but I didn't get to play
                with one.

                > Most of the others were knockoffs of the older Makita stand or the
                > HTC and were generally of inferior materials & construction.
                >
                > As I'm not currently travelling with my saw, I ended up building a
                > wide cabinet base full of drawers with casters - this keeps
                > everything out of the water that occasionally flows thru' the shop,
                > the saw 'stores' on top, I have room in a drawer for my
                > planer/thicknesser plus room for a bunch of portable tools in the
                > other drawers. As yet I have not made & fitted the folding 'wings'
                > with cutoff stops - one day ;-) I'm still thinking of getting a
                > portable stand so I can set up outside when it suits me.
                >
                > regards
                > Brusi of Orkney
                > Rowany/Lochac
                > Sydney Australia
                >
                > At 03:16 AM 31/08/2008, you wrote:
                > >Can anyone recommend a sturdy, not-tipping stand for a mitre saw?
                > >
                > >Thanks!
                > >

                > >Caley

              • Ron Jachim
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
                  I'm building one like this:

                  http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/miter-saw-station/

                  It will still end up on a roll around shop cart most of the time, but
                  I could haul it around and set it up on anything
                • Jim Engebretson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008

                    I also need a miter saw stand. I’m deciding on either buying the Rockler 28” leg table or just build one.  Over the years, Shopnotes magazine issues had several plans throughout the years. The first question that I would ask is whether or not the stand needs to be portable for transporting to job sites or will it be for a hobby shop. Second question – locking wheels or no wheels. You may also want to look at Fine Woodworking web site.

                    Jim Engebretson

                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
                      For me, one of the key features for a miter saw stand is the support
                      for long stock. This thread got me looking at what's available, since
                      I never seem to get around to building the rolling stand that I've got
                      plans for.

                      What weems to be a good deal in folding "portable" miter saw stands is
                      the Grizzly H7657. The extensions seem sturdier than other offerings
                      and the price is pretty good. Like most Grizzly products, it might be
                      a little heavy for some, but that usually comes with durability.

                      http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7657

                      Yours in Service,
                      Eirikr
                      aka Eric