Medieval Folding Bed Project

  • George Oakes
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25, 2008
      Greetings all,

      I loved the document about the folding medieval bed, and so did my
      wife, so much so she has forced me to make her one for fall coronation.
      (I love when she gets ruff with me :)

      Anyway, I modified the bed plans to accept a modern full sized, and
      queen sized matteress/futton. I have all the peices cut out of Oak
      Plywood, and just purchased all the hardware to finish the bed.

      Fall Coronation is this weekend, and I have assembly and sanding to do
      yet. Hopefully the assembly will go quickly but I doubt it. Based on
      the Hardware the bed calls for, I see many a night in the woodshop just
      getting this finished.

      I will take pictures as soon as it doesnt look like a pile of Oak
      boards, and starts to resemble a bed.

      Peace
      Gavin
    • George Oakes
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2008
        OK, I got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the point
        where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn
        hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO Home
        Depots to buy all that I need. And after carefull counting I think I
        forgot 4 hinges and 2 latches :(

        Oh well that's what the credit card is for :)

        I have taken two pictures, and posted them in my album, they were
        taken with a picture phone, so sorry for the quality. I will take
        better pics with a real camera once the battery is charged.

        I hope to install the rails, and finish installing all the hardware
        tonight. Tommorow can be sanding, and finishing, and ready by this
        weekend. (GOD I HOPE SO)

        Peace all
        Gavin

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Oakes" <goakes@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > I loved the document about the folding medieval bed, and so did my
        > wife, so much so she has forced me to make her one for fall
        coronation.
        > (I love when she gets ruff with me :)
        >
        > Anyway, I modified the bed plans to accept a modern full sized, and
        > queen sized matteress/futton. I have all the peices cut out of Oak
        > Plywood, and just purchased all the hardware to finish the bed.
        >
        > Fall Coronation is this weekend, and I have assembly and sanding to
        do
        > yet. Hopefully the assembly will go quickly but I doubt it. Based
        on
        > the Hardware the bed calls for, I see many a night in the woodshop
        just
        > getting this finished.
        >
        > I will take pictures as soon as it doesnt look like a pile of Oak
        > boards, and starts to resemble a bed.
        >
        > Peace
        > Gavin

      • George Oakes
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2008
          Finished assembly, traveled to Fall Coronation, set up our new 10x12
          wall tent, unfolded bed, assembled and laid the 8" Futton mattres on
          the frame. I was surprised at how sturdy the bed was! It was extremly
          comfortable except for the fact I hung over the end of the bed.
          I am making a modification to the bed and cutting the footboard
          lengthwise and hinging it so that it can be folded down after setup so
          long people like me wont be bothered by the foot board. Other than that
          no pics were taken set up as we have yet to stain and finish the bed,
          which I will be doing shortly. Then pics assembled, in set-up mode, and
          fully assembled. My wife also wishes me to add a canopy to the frame
          some I will be making those mods as well.

          wrote:

          > OK, I got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the point
          > where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn
          > hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO Home
        • tigurgurl03
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2008
            May I ask where you found the plans m'lord?

            Catherine Vallemont

            wrote:

            > Finished assembly, traveled to Fall Coronation, set up our new
            10x12
            > wall tent, unfolded bed, assembled and laid the 8" Futton mattres
            on
            > the frame. I was surprised at how sturdy the bed was! It was
            extremly
            > comfortable except for the fact I hung over the end of the bed.
            > I am making a modification to the bed and cutting the footboard
            > lengthwise and hinging it so that it can be folded down after setup
            so
            > long people like me wont be bothered by the foot board. Other than
            that
            > no pics were taken set up as we have yet to stain and finish the
            bed,
            > which I will be doing shortly. Then pics assembled, in set-up mode,
            and
            > fully assembled. My wife also wishes me to add a canopy to the
            frame
            > some I will be making those mods as well.
            >

            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Oakes" <goakes@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > OK, I got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the
            point
            > > where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn
            > > hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO

          • Oakes, George
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2008
              I found the plans on the yahoo group, medieval encampments at the following URL

              you do have to modify them to fit a standard mattress, I modified them for Full and Queen sized mattresses.

              href="mailto:medievalsawdust%40yahoogroups.com">medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "George Oakes" <goakes@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > OK, I
              got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the
              point

              where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn

              hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO

            • Joseph Paul
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 11, 2008
                Neat project.
                Can someone point me to the provenance for this bed?

                Thanks!
                Jamie Blackrose

                wrote:

                > Finished assembly, traveled to Fall Coronation, set up our new
                10x12
                > wall tent, unfolded bed, assembled and laid the 8" Futton mattres
                on
                > the frame. I was surprised at how sturdy the bed was! It was
                extremly
                > comfortable except for the fact I hung over the end of the bed.
                > I am making a modification to the bed and cutting the footboard
                > lengthwise and hinging it so that it can be folded down after setup
                so
                > long people like me wont be bothered by the foot board. Other than
                that
                > no pics were taken set up as we have yet to stain and finish the
                bed,
                > which I will be doing shortly. Then pics assembled, in set-up mode,
                and
                > fully assembled. My wife also wishes me to add a canopy to the
                frame
                > some I will be making those mods as well.
                >

                > --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, "George Oakes" <goakes@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > OK, I got to assembeling the bed last night, and I got to the
                point
                > > where the box is together. Next are the rails, and all the darn
                > > hinges. There are so many hinges on this box, I had to go to TWO

              • Lisa Wiser
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17, 2008
                  Jaime -

                  If you go to the photo section of the list, under the folder CHEST BED
                  by jrobmay --- there is a phtograph of a bed from 1580

                  Lia

                  Joseph Paul wrote:

                  > Neat project.
                  > Can someone point me to the provenance for this bed?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Jamie Blackrose
                  >
                  > -----
                  >
                  > .

                • Oakes, George
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 18, 2008
                    So far we have used the bed one time, and here are my findings.

                    We used Oak Veneered plywood for the primary wood. Lots and Lots of hinges in this project!!!!!!!!!!

                    After making adjustments for the typical sized Full and Queen sized mattresses, I found that I made a slight error calculating the bed side lengths and forgot to allow for a 3/4" difference because of hinge placement. It still folds up but not as straight and pretty as in the pictures. Also to allow for the clearance of the side rails that hold the slats up, I made another miscalculation on the middle legs, so they are a tad short. I will remake these and the bed will be fine.

                    We slept in the bed at Fall Coronation a few weeks back, and found that me being a 6 foot tall guy, I stick out past the end of the mattress, putting my feet up on the footboard. This was of course uncomfortable, so I will be cutting the footboard in half lengthwise, and putting some hinges on the piece so that when assembled I can fold down the footboard and let my feet hang off the end. We got by, by laying a sleeping bag over the edge making it more comfortable.

                    We have a friend who can Laser engrave a piece of wood 12x24 inches so we will be adding a design to the headboard. The wife also wants me to add the canopy to the bed like the picture. So I will be working on that next.

                    All in all, the bed is nice, folds up nicely, all the pieces fit in the box/bed when closed up, with plenty of room for more stuff, like the canopy, and maybe even some mosquito netting (for the woods of Florida :)

                    I will post the pictures soon.

                    Gavin Kinkade
                    Marcaster Hospitaller
                    (mka George Oakes)