Re: Wooden wheels

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
      >I've seen that episode several times. He has access to planes that are
      >probably no longer made - could be interesting to remake one though.

      At this point, I think the only planes that are no longer made are
      specific molding planes and some of the more, uh, whimsical forays into
      tool design. (For a more masterful takedown of some of Stanley's
      offerings throughout the years, as well as some useful information on
      planes in general, check out
      http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html)

      If I was going to make a serious go at such a thing (and not just cheat
      with some kind of power tool jig) I'd probably just make something like
      this:
      http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1072
      and it's concave twin. I mean, for as often as I'd use it I could just
      borrow the iron out of another plane when I needed it.

      Avery