Re: Question about re-printed book on church chests

  • sdhunter3
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2008
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Rhys Terafan Greydragon"
      <terafan@...> wrote:

      > Greetings all,
      >
      > I ran across a 1929 book (that someone else was buying) on "Ancient
      > Church Chests and Chairs, in the Home Counties round Greater London."
      >
      > Doing a search for it, I find a newly reprinted paperback titled
      "Ancient
      > Church Chests and Chairs In Middlesex, Hertforshire, Essex, Kent, and
      > Surrey" They claim it is the same book but I am curious as to the
      number
      > and quality of the photographs and drawings (in the new book)...
      >
      > Does anyone have the new book?
      > If so, what is the quality of the drawings and pictures?
      >
      > Anyone have both and can give an honest comparison??
      >

      > cheers,
      > Terafan
      >
      > Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon terafan@...
      > Brewer, Tent and Furniture maker, and other things I can't remember...

      Master Rhys Terafan,

      A quick search on abebooks.com indicates that the complete title is:
      "Ancient Church Chests and Chairs in the Home Counties round Greater
      London being the tour of an antiquary with pencil and camera through
      the churches of Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent and Surrey."

      I don't have this book, but do have a copy of "Ancient Coffers and
      Cupboards, Their History and Description from the earliest times to
      the middle of the sixteenth century," by Fred Roe, Methuen & Co. 1902.
      The quality of the drawings and pictures in Ancient Coffers etc. are
      quite good. Many of the pieces I have not seen pictured elsewhere.
      Most of the line drawings have dimensions (l x w x h), and there are
      some drawings of construction details. Perhaps Ancient Church Chests
      etc. is similar.

      Master Sir Stanford
    • Keith Dombrowski
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2008
        I don't have the new one, but I do have the original. If someone with
        the new one is going to be at Barleycorn in Sept, we can do a comparison.

        -Kean

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2008
          I have both. Both are by Roe and both have many very nice photos and
          line drawings of a similar nature and style.

          -Kean