Re:Wooden wheels

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2008
      When you say plywood tire, are you talking about the ones I came up
      with six or seven years ago or something different?

      The wooden parts of a wooden wheel are not too incredibly complicated
      for someone who knows how to work precisely. The one thing I'd
      strongly advise: try to use the same kinds of wood that were used for
      this purpose back in the day because chances are they had a reason for
      using that type of wood.

      The two books by Alex Bealer had a bunch of wainwright stuff in them
      but I'm not sure how old the techniques he describes really are. If a
      real hub and what not are good enough (even if they are a 17th or 18th
      century hub than his books should have everything you need.

      Avery
    • Alex Haugland
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19, 2008
        Roy Underhill did a nice small, real wheel on the Woodwright's Shop, for the English Garden Wheelbarrow...  The last two seasons of Woodwright's Shop are online and available to watch for free here, including that episode in the 26th season.  Here's the URL for that season:
        http://www.pbs.org/wws/schedule/26season_video.html

        --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
        Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

        FIRE SQUIRE wrote:

        Hello everybody, I would like to find a good source for wooden
        wheels or plans to make my own. I constructed the the plywood type but
        did not like the effect. thanks in advance....

      • Rebekah d'Avignon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19, 2008
          I've seen that episode several times. He has access to planes that are probably no longer made - could be interesting to remake one though.

          Alex Haugland <ahauglan@...> wrote:
          Roy Underhill did a nice small, real wheel on the Woodwright's Shop, for the English Garden Wheelbarrow. ..  The last two seasons of Woodwright's Shop are online and available to watch for free here, including that episode in the 26th season.  Here's the URL for that season:
          http://www.pbs. org/wws/schedule /26season_ video.html

          --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
          Barony of Adiantum, An Tir
          .

          RdA
          Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

        • Avery Austringer
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
            >I've seen that episode several times. He has access to planes that are
            >probably no longer made - could be interesting to remake one though.

            At this point, I think the only planes that are no longer made are
            specific molding planes and some of the more, uh, whimsical forays into
            tool design. (For a more masterful takedown of some of Stanley's
            offerings throughout the years, as well as some useful information on
            planes in general, check out
            http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html)

            If I was going to make a serious go at such a thing (and not just cheat
            with some kind of power tool jig) I'd probably just make something like
            this:
            http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1072
            and it's concave twin. I mean, for as often as I'd use it I could just
            borrow the iron out of another plane when I needed it.

            Avery