Re: Viking Find info?

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24 11:23 AM
      Lord Robert,

      I am certainly no expert, and it is impossible to prove a negative
      with any certainty (ie. no, such a thing did not ever exist) because
      the next hole that is dug may prove that certainty incorrect. I can
      say, though, that I have observed a GREAT DEAL of discussion on this
      very topic on that very sort of chair, and the overwhelming
      concurrence is that there is no known example to this date of such a
      chair being used by Norse people during the Viking age. I understand
      there are some three-legged stools, and something called a barrel
      chair which I have only heard of, never seen. There is also a
      squared off boxy looking artifact chair that looks more like a throne
      in its lines. Beyond that, it is unfortunate for those of us who
      love the Norse period that there isn't much more to choose from. It
      doesn't seem to have been a very furniture-filled period.

      Best regards,

      -Charlie aka Oli Svennson

      --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Robert" <rdehwyll@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings, all!
      > About a month back, I happened across a webpage detailing
      > an acheological find pertaining to a possible/probable Viking
      > Settlement in Nova Scotia, circa 1985(?). Of course, I forgot to
      > bookmark it, and trying to get back to it, I can no longer find it.
      > My reason for trying to relocate it? One of the finds was a
      piece
      > of partially rotted hewn cedar wood, about 3.5' by 1' by 2", with a
      > rectangular hole centered 1' from one end. A month later it hits
      > me that this closely matches the back section of my boy scout/
      > stargazing chair -- sometimes called a Viking Chair -- and I need
      > the info to suggest the possibility that "Viking Chair" may be an
      > accurate description in my documentation. Has anyone else
      > found this site, or know of it, and come to the same conclusion/
      > theory that I have?
      > In service,
      > Lord Robert ap hywel ap Dewi of Flint Market
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26 6:44 AM
        > There is also a squared off boxy looking artifact chair that looks
        > more like a throne in its lines. Beyond that, it is unfortunate for
        > those of us who love the Norse period that there isn't much more to
        > choose from. It doesn't seem to have been a very furniture-filled
        > period.

        There's a nice carved bench from 10-11th century Sweeden in volume one
        of "M�bel Europas." I'll try to scan it within the next few days and
        upload it here.

        Ulrich

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • vinlandar
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26 8:20 AM
          Many thanks, Ulrich, I would be delighted to see it.

          -Charlie