Re: [MedievalSawdust] Wooden wheels

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2008
      Try these people...
      Assuming that you mean small wheels.

      FIRE SQUIRE <pdm68wa@...> wrote:
      Hello everybody, I would like to find a good source for wooden
      wheels or plans to make my own. I constructed the the plywood type but
      did not like the effect. thanks in advance....
      .

      RdA
      Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

    • Avery Austringer
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2008
        When you say plywood tire, are you talking about the ones I came up
        with six or seven years ago or something different?

        The wooden parts of a wooden wheel are not too incredibly complicated
        for someone who knows how to work precisely. The one thing I'd
        strongly advise: try to use the same kinds of wood that were used for
        this purpose back in the day because chances are they had a reason for
        using that type of wood.

        The two books by Alex Bealer had a bunch of wainwright stuff in them
        but I'm not sure how old the techniques he describes really are. If a
        real hub and what not are good enough (even if they are a 17th or 18th
        century hub than his books should have everything you need.

        Avery
      • Alex Haugland
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19, 2008
          Roy Underhill did a nice small, real wheel on the Woodwright's Shop, for the English Garden Wheelbarrow...  The last two seasons of Woodwright's Shop are online and available to watch for free here, including that episode in the 26th season.  Here's the URL for that season:
          http://www.pbs.org/wws/schedule/26season_video.html

          --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
          Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
              >I've seen that episode several times. He has access to planes that are
              >probably no longer made - could be interesting to remake one though.

              At this point, I think the only planes that are no longer made are
              specific molding planes and some of the more, uh, whimsical forays into
              tool design. (For a more masterful takedown of some of Stanley's
              offerings throughout the years, as well as some useful information on
              planes in general, check out
              http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html)

              If I was going to make a serious go at such a thing (and not just cheat
              with some kind of power tool jig) I'd probably just make something like
              this:
              http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1072
              and it's concave twin. I mean, for as often as I'd use it I could just
              borrow the iron out of another plane when I needed it.

              Avery