Wooden wheels

  • FIRE SQUIRE
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2008
      Hello everybody, I would like to find a good source for wooden
      wheels or plans to make my own. I constructed the the plywood type but
      did not like the effect. thanks in advance....
    • paul
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 16, 2008
        This page to the Rural Craft Publications has a link to download the
        manual "making a wheel: how to make a traditional light English pattern
        wheel along with traditional saddle making books, thatchers craft, and
        blacksmithing books all free downloads. Since its actually a book on
        making "real" wooden wheels it might be more than your looking for but
        its well worth the look. The site is for the preservation of
        traditional English crafts.

        Paul

        http://195.92.230.85/LAR/archive/publications/craftpublications.asp

        FIRE SQUIRE wrote:

        > Hello everybody, I would like to find a good source for wooden
        > wheels or plans to make my own. I constructed the the plywood type but
        > did not like the effect. thanks in advance....
        >
        > __
      • Rebekah d'Avignon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2008
          Try these people...
          Assuming that you mean small wheels.

          FIRE SQUIRE <pdm68wa@...> wrote:
          Hello everybody, I would like to find a good source for wooden
          wheels or plans to make my own. I constructed the the plywood type but
          did not like the effect. thanks in advance....
          .

          RdA
          Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

        • Avery Austringer
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 18, 2008
            When you say plywood tire, are you talking about the ones I came up
            with six or seven years ago or something different?

            The wooden parts of a wooden wheel are not too incredibly complicated
            for someone who knows how to work precisely. The one thing I'd
            strongly advise: try to use the same kinds of wood that were used for
            this purpose back in the day because chances are they had a reason for
            using that type of wood.

            The two books by Alex Bealer had a bunch of wainwright stuff in them
            but I'm not sure how old the techniques he describes really are. If a
            real hub and what not are good enough (even if they are a 17th or 18th
            century hub than his books should have everything you need.

            Avery
          • Alex Haugland
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2008
              Roy Underhill did a nice small, real wheel on the Woodwright's Shop, for the English Garden Wheelbarrow...  The last two seasons of Woodwright's Shop are online and available to watch for free here, including that episode in the 26th season.  Here's the URL for that season:
              http://www.pbs.org/wws/schedule/26season_video.html

              --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
              Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
                  >I've seen that episode several times. He has access to planes that are
                  >probably no longer made - could be interesting to remake one though.

                  At this point, I think the only planes that are no longer made are
                  specific molding planes and some of the more, uh, whimsical forays into
                  tool design. (For a more masterful takedown of some of Stanley's
                  offerings throughout the years, as well as some useful information on
                  planes in general, check out
                  http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html)

                  If I was going to make a serious go at such a thing (and not just cheat
                  with some kind of power tool jig) I'd probably just make something like
                  this:
                  http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1072
                  and it's concave twin. I mean, for as often as I'd use it I could just
                  borrow the iron out of another plane when I needed it.

                  Avery