Looking for Savonarola chair plans

  • Corwyna of Freswick
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
      Good day,

      I am a long time lurker, though this is my first time posting.
      I am working with another person to construct Baronial thrones. Thier
      Excellencies decided on the Savonarola style chairs, but I am having a
      hard time finding a good set of plans.

      So far I have found
      http://www.mastercharlesoakley.com/foldstool.html - which is an X
      chair. Similar in style, but not quite what I am looking for.

      http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/chair115ct.pdf - Right style,
      but not a lot of detail on the contruction side.

      Anyone out there have any better sources? The chairs will more than
      likely be made of of red oak.

      Thank you,

      Corwyna
    • barondevin@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
        Master Charles also has these two. Perahps one of them is more to your liking?

        http://www.mastercharlesoakley.com/coff_chair.html

        http://www.mastercharlesoakley.com/peacock_chair.html

        The second one is much closer to the currentmiddleages.org chair.

        Devin

        From: "Corwyna of Freswick" <corwyna_freswick@...>
        > Good day,
        >
        > I am a long time lurker, though this is my first time posting.
        > I am working with another person to construct Baronial thrones. Thier
        > Excellencies decided on the Savonarola style chairs, but I am having a
        > hard time finding a good set of plans.
        >
        > So far I have found
        > http://www.mastercharlesoakley.com/foldstool.html - which is an X
        > chair. Similar in style, but not quite what I am looking for.
        >
        > http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/chair115ct.pdf - Right style,
        > but not a lot of detail on the contruction side.
        >
        > Anyone out there have any better sources? The chairs will more than
        > likely be made of of red oak.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Corwyna

      • Wolf
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
          Good day, Corwyna!

          I second Baron Devin's suggestion of the chair at
          http://www.mastercharlesoakley.com/peacock_chair.html

          However, I would recommend that you follow the advice given for the
          faldestoel and make a prototype (or three) of pine first, unless you're
          one of those rare fortunates who somehow manage to "get it right the
          first time". It's better to find "oh crap" moments with relatively
          inexpensive wood!

          At best, you'll end up with some serviceable chairs for your own
          encampment. At worst, there's always the satisfaction of bashing them
          into kindling and making something really useful!

          Wolf
          (who has been responsible for more than a few bonfires!)