Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: A Wood finish

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8, 2008
      The bottom line on cutting boards is, both wood and plastic are safe if
      you keep them clean and keep them dry - and neither are safe if you do
      not. The differences between the two materials are interesting but
      negligible in terms of personal use. (Commercial food preparation use
      patterns are very different, the materials have less chance to dry out
      as they are in use more continuously, so bacteria populations can build
      up faster.)

      Wash well, wipe with vinegar, keep dry between uses, and you'll be safe
      with either material.

      Now back to the original question - as others noted, no finish at all is
      probably best for this application, but in practice all modern finishes
      are safe when fully cured. Bob Flexner has been trying for years to
      combat the persistent belief that wood finishes are toxic. They are
      not. But if you don't believe him, use shellac - it is in fact
      food-safe, used to coat pills, among other things.

      Cheers,
      Tim
    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 8, 2008
        donat0 <donat0@...> wrote:
        I don't mean to pick nits here, but I believe this is dangerous misinformation. Could you please show us a source showing this is true? Children are supposed to be exposed to contaminants to build strong immune systems, but to claim sanitary values for kitchen equipment is not good.
        Um......wrong.
        One of the most common transfer points of Salmonella is through improperly cleaned wooden cutting boards- the bacteria can live for weeks if the board is saturated.
        Sorry.....read the item below.

        "Pieces of raw and painted wood were observed in the firm's class 100 and class 1,000 rooms. Wood is porous, difficult to disinfect, can allow for the growth of bacteria and mold and contamination of the environment. "

        Donato Del Giardinier, Proprietor Rifugio Del Bacchus.
        .

        RdA
        Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

      • bayard_turner
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8, 2008
          Bob Flexner, author of "Understanding Wood Finishing", wrote an
          article for the Spring 2008 American Woodturner. He says that all the
          "Salad Bowl Finishes", etc., are simply alkyd varnishes thinned with
          mineral spirits - "wiping varnishes." They contain the same driers as
          any other varnish and are no more or less safe. All the driers used
          in varnish and drying oils like BLO are approved by the FDA (Bob says
          to google "21CFR175.300" and click on the top link). His contention
          is that all finishes - varnish, drying oils, lacquer, etc. are
          "food-safe" after they have fully cured.

          Given that information, what finish would handle rough use over time
          best? A surface finish, like poly, lays on top of the wood, and
          provides good protection from water, drool, etc. An oil like BLO
          soaks in, but offers little protection at the surface. I'd go with
          what works best for you on other projects.

          Bayard

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "lambdakennels1@..."
          <lambdakennels1@...> wrote:

          > You can get a can of "toy maker finish" from a wood store such as
          Rockler or Woordcraft. I have a can. It says it is child safe after
          three or four coats when cured 48 hours after the last coat. I have
          not used it -- stopped making things that needed that sort of thing,
          so can't tell you how it does.

          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3npyAf2LkMptkNUQyjKqiGPGPcfRcQPtSb9wTYXfQMkDehHH/