Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: A Wood finish

Expand Messages
  • leaking pen
    http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm Heres a study on salmonella that shows the bacteria was pulled into the wood,
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8 9:29 AM
      http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

      Heres a study on salmonella that shows the bacteria was pulled into
      the wood, dehydrated and killed, did not multiply, and was not
      available to contaminate on the surface.

      On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 6:33 AM, donat0 <donat0@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Wood is a natural antibiotic, which is why wooden cutting boards are
      >> safer than plastic.
      >
      > I don't mean to pick nits here, but I believe this is dangerous
      > misinformation. Could you please show us a source showing this is
      > true? Children are supposed to be exposed to contaminants to build
      > strong immune systems, but to claim sanitary values for kitchen
      > equipment is not good.
      >
      > One of the most common transfer points of Salmonella is through
      > improperly cleaned wooden cutting boards- the bacteria can live for
      > weeks if the board is saturated. Admittedly, most dangerous
      > bacteria's are aneorobic (must have no oxygen to live), and wood by
      > nature creates an aerobic environment, I think to assume its safe
      > because its wood beacons us back to "Assume means....."
      >
      > "Pieces of raw and painted wood were observed in the firm's class 100
      > and class 1,000 rooms. Wood is porous, difficult to disinfect, can
      > allow for the growth of bacteria and mold and contamination of the
      > environment."
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/5g3fvw
      >
      > I am sorry, I don't mean to contradict anybody, but we must always
      > maintain a higher sanitation priority when preparing food for other
      > people.
      >
      > Donato Del Giardinier, Proprietor Rifugio Del Bacchus.
      >
      >
    • AlbionWood
      The bottom line on cutting boards is, both wood and plastic are safe if you keep them clean and keep them dry - and neither are safe if you do not. The
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 8 10:12 AM
        The bottom line on cutting boards is, both wood and plastic are safe if
        you keep them clean and keep them dry - and neither are safe if you do
        not. The differences between the two materials are interesting but
        negligible in terms of personal use. (Commercial food preparation use
        patterns are very different, the materials have less chance to dry out
        as they are in use more continuously, so bacteria populations can build
        up faster.)

        Wash well, wipe with vinegar, keep dry between uses, and you'll be safe
        with either material.

        Now back to the original question - as others noted, no finish at all is
        probably best for this application, but in practice all modern finishes
        are safe when fully cured. Bob Flexner has been trying for years to
        combat the persistent belief that wood finishes are toxic. They are
        not. But if you don't believe him, use shellac - it is in fact
        food-safe, used to coat pills, among other things.

        Cheers,
        Tim
      • Rebekah d'Avignon
        donat0 wrote: I don t mean to pick nits here, but I believe this is dangerous misinformation. Could you please show us a source
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8 10:36 AM
          donat0 <donat0@...> wrote:
          I don't mean to pick nits here, but I believe this is dangerous misinformation. Could you please show us a source showing this is true? Children are supposed to be exposed to contaminants to build strong immune systems, but to claim sanitary values for kitchen equipment is not good.
          Um......wrong.
          One of the most common transfer points of Salmonella is through improperly cleaned wooden cutting boards- the bacteria can live for weeks if the board is saturated.
          Sorry.....read the item below.

          "Pieces of raw and painted wood were observed in the firm's class 100 and class 1,000 rooms. Wood is porous, difficult to disinfect, can allow for the growth of bacteria and mold and contamination of the environment. "

          Donato Del Giardinier, Proprietor Rifugio Del Bacchus.
          .

           
           


          RdA
          Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

        • bayard_turner
          Bob Flexner, author of Understanding Wood Finishing , wrote an article for the Spring 2008 American Woodturner. He says that all the Salad Bowl Finishes ,
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 8 9:25 PM
            Bob Flexner, author of "Understanding Wood Finishing", wrote an
            article for the Spring 2008 American Woodturner. He says that all the
            "Salad Bowl Finishes", etc., are simply alkyd varnishes thinned with
            mineral spirits - "wiping varnishes." They contain the same driers as
            any other varnish and are no more or less safe. All the driers used
            in varnish and drying oils like BLO are approved by the FDA (Bob says
            to google "21CFR175.300" and click on the top link). His contention
            is that all finishes - varnish, drying oils, lacquer, etc. are
            "food-safe" after they have fully cured.

            Given that information, what finish would handle rough use over time
            best? A surface finish, like poly, lays on top of the wood, and
            provides good protection from water, drool, etc. An oil like BLO
            soaks in, but offers little protection at the surface. I'd go with
            what works best for you on other projects.

            Bayard

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "lambdakennels1@..."
            <lambdakennels1@...> wrote:
            >
            > You can get a can of "toy maker finish" from a wood store such as
            Rockler or Woordcraft. I have a can. It says it is child safe after
            three or four coats when cured 48 hours after the last coat. I have
            not used it -- stopped making things that needed that sort of thing,
            so can't tell you how it does.
            >
            >
            > Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
            > http://lambdafarm.mysite.com/
            > Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
            > K5AMK
            >
            >
            > -- "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:
            > Can anyone recommend a wood finish that is baby safe? I want to make a
            > toy for my grand daughter and want to make it paint/finish safe.
            >
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > Iain Griffen
            >
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            >
            >
            >
            > Get everything you need to hook up your own wireless network by
            clicking now!
            >
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3npyAf2LkMptkNUQyjKqiGPGPcfRcQPtSb9wTYXfQMkDehHH/
            >
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.