New Bed ~ Breakdown Camp slat /platform

  • Chas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      Greetings to the list!

      So last year at Pennsic the camp across from us was selling some of
      the camp furniture. A campmate of mine wanted a camp bed and they ahd
      one. He wasn't willignt o spend what I did on my slat bed but they
      had an interesting platform bed using plywood chopped up into
      sections that rested on 2x4's that then rested on side rails. It
      pegged together with what appeared to be carved pegs about the size
      of pencils. the side rails were 2x6 with a 1x4 glued screwed and
      notched to accept the 2x4 slats. the head board was a 2x6 and the
      foot board was a 2x4. The posts were standard PT 4 x 4 deck posts. I
      looked at it and thought that it would benefit greatly from a larger
      head and foot board with weges instead of pegs. So for the $20 asking
      price he hauled it home. He bought a length of 2x12 and we replaced
      the Head and foot boards and I gave him a few of my wedges and his
      bed is greatly improved. Still not perfect but without totally
      rebulding it, it will get him thru this Pennsic hopefully?

      Another friend wanted one similar and asked if we could knock one
      out? I thought we could get most of it done in a night. He purchased
      the wood Tuesday and we started on it Wednesday night. We started
      about 7 pm and he left by midnight. Given the tools I have avaialble
      and the hand fitting that was required we did alright and if his Wife
      and new son decide to come to Pennsic they'll have a nice place up
      off the ground to sleep. He short-cutted some things but the wood was
      still under $100. He plans on putting a piece of plywood over the six
      1x3 pine slats to support his regular full size bed mattress.

      I posted photos of the Solidworks solid model and will post photos of
      the actual bed after Pennsic. Photos are in Valentine's projects
      folder in the Yahoo group. Tools used were a 12" chop saw, Cordless
      circular saw and Jig saw, Mortising machine and table saw. Various
      rasps, files and sandpaper were also used. I think the next time I
      may try making templates and using the router instead and finishing
      the corners with the mortising tool.

      V.L.