Re: wood and bowing

  • dauid_morgant_dinefwr
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
      What do folks recommend as far as treatments for tent poles to make
      them last longer?

      Varnish? Oil?

      Thanks,

      Dauid

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "cuvien1438" <cuvien1438@...>
      wrote:

      > How can I keep my ent poles from bowing and keep them nice and
      straight?
      > I've heard that it is neccessary to lay them down on the floor of my
      > garage and not to stand them on end, leaning them up in the corner.
      I'm
      > following this advice. Any other?

    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008

        Same here.  I also painted/sealed them, so they don’t pick up moisture and dry unevenly.  It is also important to start with good straight wood.

        Guillaume

        I knock the corners off all mine, giving them an octagonal profile. I use cheap pine 2 by, and have never had a warp.

        Will

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
          I simply stain them to make them more water-resistant and to improve their appearance. For extra decoration I have been known to first paint them (usually acrylic applied with stamps) then apply stain after the paint has dried. This gives the paint an aged or antiqued look and lasts for a long time, barring any abuse. Some of my poles (1.25" dowel) have lasted in excess of 10 years. Usually it is the wallowing out of the wood by hardware (all thread) that causes them to be replaced, when they are cut down to serve as shorter poles or recycled into other projects such as rope adjusters.

          Just my 2 cents worth...
          In Magical Service,
          Malaki

          wrote:

          > How can I keep my ent poles from bowing and keep them nice and
          straight?
          > I've heard that it is neccessary to lay them down on the floor of my
          > garage and not to stand them on end, leaning them up in the corner.
          I'm
          > following this advice. Any other?

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
            I use Boiled Linseed oil or Watco oil finish on vitually all of my
            SCA woodworking.

            Yours in Service,
            Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
            Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "dauid_morgant_dinefwr"

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
              Anything that keeps the water out. I prefer a dark stain, but that's just me. I've also used satin polyurethane finishes to great effect on poles I've made for other people.

              Will

              wrote:

              > How can I
              keep my ent poles from bowing and keep them nice and
              straight?
              > I've
              heard that it is neccessary to lay them down on the floor of my
              > garage
              and not to stand them on end, leaning them up in the corner.
              I'm

              following this advice. Any other?

            • AlbionWood
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
                Paint!

                Colin

                dauid_morgant_dinefwr wrote:
                What do folks recommend as far as treatments for tent poles to make
                them last longer?

                Varnish? Oil?

                Thanks,

                Dauid

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008

                  I used clear Watco on cotton wood poles; dipping the ends that set on the ground for about 5 min.  They are used in a Panther wedge tent for Gulf, Lilies, Pennsic War since Pennsic 25.

                  James Cunningham

                  <dunvegann@. ..> wrote:

                  > What do folks recommend as far as treatments for tent poles to
                  make
                  > them last longer?
                  >
                  > Varnish? Oil?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Dauid

                • julian wilson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 26, 2008
                    --- On Fri, 25/7/08, Tracy Swanson <tstar2000@...> wrote:QUOTE
                    I simply stain them to make them more water-resistant and to improve their appearance. MUCH GOOD STUFF SNIPPED FOR BREVITY when they are cut down to serve as shorter poles or recycled into other projects such as rope adjusters.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                      I stood mine in a can (overnight) of WeatherScreen Deck Stain.

                      wrote:

                      > How can I keep my ent poles from bowing and keep them nice and
                      straight?
                      > I've heard that it is neccessary to lay them down on the floor of my
                      > garage and not to stand them on end, leaning them up in the corner.
                      I'm
                      > following this advice. Any other?

                      RdA
                      Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

                    • cuvien1438
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 13, 2008
                        I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice, which I made good use
                        of. My tent poles are straight and strong and I don't worry about them
                        anymore.

                        Thanks again,

                        Cuvien d'Auvergne
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 15, 2008
                          So what did you decide on?

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 22, 2009
                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                            wrote:

                            > So what did you decide on?
                            >
                            > Will
                            >
                            > _____
                            >
                            > To be honest, I already had some stain. I bought it when I started
                            the project. But I thought I was supposed to wait til they stabilized
                            before I stained them. I didn't realize that the stain is what brings
                            this about!

                            So, I simply applied the stain. And you guys were right, they have
                            been as uneffected by humidity as anything I can think of. I still
                            keep them standing on end and rotate them occasionally, though I'm
                            not sure I even need to do that.

                            The one thing I think I'll add is the idea of dipping the ground ends
                            in a weather protector, even though I made extra poles.

                            Wish I'd taken some pics, but I'm still learning how.

                            Thanks again everyone!

                            Cuvien