RE: [MedievalSawdust] (OT) long term tool storage

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 16, 2008
      Really?  I would have thought that that would attract rats..

      Will

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 16, 2008
          True.  I'm just hyper-sensitive.  I just paid a professional hit-man to liquidate the Norway rats in my dad's house.

          Will

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 16, 2008
            Next time you have the problem, hie yourself off to a farm supply store
            and buy some Purina ASSAULT ... used by farmers to keep rodents out of
            the barns.

            It works on rats, but I'm not sure how quickly. On mice? My experience
            was an overnight massive kill (deceased cat, grieving cat, corn field
            across the street being harvested = lots and lots of mice)

            Lia

            Bill McNutt wrote:

            > True. I'm just hyper-sensitive. I just paid a professional hit-man
            > to liquidate the Norway rats in my dad's house.

          • Alex Haugland
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 16, 2008
              When new, most of the tools that I have with flat steel tables (like your tablesaw) have had oil soaked paper stuck to the machined surfaces, in packaging.  This would prevent air, and with it, moisture, from reaching the surface.  After unpacking the surface is cleaned with kerosene to remove the residue.

              As far as other options for smaller things, Lee Valley carries silica gel dehumidifiers in large sizes intended for tool chests, etc.   They have an indicator to show when they've absorbed as much moisture as they can, and can be dried out in an oven to recharge them.  Here's the link to those: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53828&cat=1,43326

              They also carry bags specifically designed to prevent corrosion in a range of sizes: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=58755&cat=1,43326

              --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
              Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

              beorn@... wrote:

              HELP!

              I am looking a a significant job change that will leaad my family and
              I travelling to different locales 3 to 4 times a year. There is no
              point in keeping a home where we live now and so this means
              liquidating a good portion of our lives and storing the rest. I can
              liquidate some of my tools but I don't want to replace my hand tools
              or my table saw, they are very good friends as I'm sure you understand.

              does anyone have the best tips on how to store these items safely
              without resulting in too much oxidation or other damage, they may
              possibly be in storage for several years.

              Your advice is appreciated
              Thank you
              Beorn the Oldwolf

            • Rebekah d'Avignon

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 16, 2008
                  Don't laugh.  I was tempted to start packing a pistol.  Norway rats are BRAZEN.  They would run along the baseboards with me IN THE ROOM.  There were only a couple of them, though. We got 'em before they got bad.

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 16, 2008
                    You put gasoline in metal because it will DISSOLVE plastic. even the
                    special plastics they use for some emergency gas cans now, ive had one
                    of those stored with gas in it for about 3 years in the garage. the
                    bottom had turned to a gasoline gel. (napalm anyone?)

                    plastic done right will certainly seal out moisture. one of its
                    biggest points when plastic was first introduced was its impermability
                    to fluids.

                    as for rice, it will not absorb the air below about 5 percent
                    humidity, whereas the dessicant will take it to nothing. And they
                    sell it in bulk for about 3 bucks a pound.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 16, 2008
                      Who are "they," and where can "they" be found.  I could use some bulk desiccant.

                      Will

                      href="mailto:beorn%40tribewodenthor.org">beorn@tribewodentho r.org wrote:

                      > HELP!
                      >
                      > I am looking a a significant job
                      change that will lead my family and I
                      > travelling to different locales 3
                      to 4 times a year. There is no point in
                      > keeping a home where we live now
                      and so this means liquidating a good
                      > portion of our lives and storing
                      the rest. I can liquidate some of my tools
                      > but I don't want to replace
                      my hand tools or my table saw, they are very
                      > good friends as I'm sure
                      you understand.

                      > does anyone have the best tips on how to store
                      these items safely without
                      > resulting in too much oxidation or other
                      damage, they may possibly be in
                      > storage for several
                      years.

                      > Your advice is appreciated
                      > Thank you

                      Beorn the Oldwolf

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 16, 2008
                          --- On Wed, 7/16/08, Alex Haugland <ahauglan@...> wrote:
                          When new, most of the tools that I have with flat steel tables (like
                          your tablesaw) have had oil soaked paper stuck to the machined
                          surfaces, in packaging. This would prevent air, and with it, moisture,
                          from reaching the surface. After unpacking the surface is cleaned with
                          kerosene to remove the residue.

                          I use plain old Johnson's floor wax on my table saw surfaces - this protects it from rusting as well as providing a nice, smooth surface for wood to travel. If you're not scraping the wax off with every cut, it should last quite a while - but perhaps not three years in storage.

                          Götz
                        • leaking pen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 17, 2008
                            As stated in my original reply, Michaels, which is a craft chain
                            store, i believe they are nation wide. Also, a lot of gardening
                            stores, but not the gardening centers at home depot and such, usually.
                            It also gets mixed with soil, as, when soaked, it will slowly let off
                            moisture, so it keeps soil damp longer.

                            I know there are some even cheaper places online, as a local house use
                            to buy in bulk online for creating a non spoiling jello for jello
                            wrestling at parties.

                            And rebecca, Ive had gas out of a steel can 20 years old that burned
                            in a car just fine. And in this case, I meant that i grabbed the
                            handle and lifted, and the entire bottom half of the plastic jug
                            seperated and remained stuck to the floor, a red gooey blob. the gas
                            had dissolved the actual plastic, not just turned gummy. (if it does
                            turn gummy on its own, reheating it to about 130 degrees f will cause
                            the carbon chains, which have linked, to reseperate, and the whole
                            thing to turn and stay liquid again. )