Re: [MedievalSawdust] Looking for catapult plans

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
      I've found sites on the internet selling plans for models (up to 1/2 size) and there is a book called (I believe) Backyard Ballistics available from American Science and Surplus and, possibly, other book sellers.

      kirkdrago <kith@...> wrote:
      Does anyone know where I might find the plans for a catapult TOY? (not looking to make a real one...yet) I've been getting the itchin's recently to try something completely different.

      KirkD
      .

      RdA
      Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

    • Eric Hess
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
        New Stirling Arms carries a couple of different sizes of kits of nicely
        constructed catapults and trebuchets. If they don't have quite what
        you're looking for on their site, contact them and they might be able
        to help.

        > kirkdrago <kith@...> wrote: Does anyone know where I might
        find the plans for a catapult TOY? (not looking to make a real
        one...yet) I've been getting the itchin's recently to try something
        completely different.

        > KirkD
      • kirkdrago
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
          Thanks, I'll see what they've got. I've also started sketching out
          my own design. If I complete that I'll post it in my album for anyone
          who wants.

          KirkD

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon
          <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

          > I've found sites on the internet selling plans for models (up to 1/2
          size) and there is a book called (I believe) Backyard Ballistics
          available from American Science and Surplus and, possibly, other book
          sellers.

          > kirkdrago <kith@...> wrote: Does anyone know where I might
          find the plans for a catapult TOY? (not looking to make a real
          one...yet) I've been getting the itchin's recently to try something
          completely different.

          > KirkD
          >

          > .
          >

          > RdA
          > Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

        • jay sabath
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2008
            I found this

            http://www.teachersource.com/Physics/Catapults/WorkingWoodCatapult.aspx

            and this

            http://www.instructables.com/id/Wooden-Desktop-Trebuchet/

            Hope it helps

            --
            Lord Johannes Machiavelli
            Shire of Rokkehealden
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2008
              It should be mentioned that trebuchets in miniature do not "scale up" well to full sized. The physics involved can be VERY different. With that said, I've built three different model trebuchets, one "hinged counterweight" and two traction. I've built only one traction treb full sized and it's still in trials. All are my own design. The counterweight model wins contests, usually handily (marshmallow "peep", 34 feet), so has been retired. If you'd like plans for any or all, contact me off list.

              Arqai