RE: [MedievalSawdust] URL doesn't work for me - was - Bourdichon Shop replica tool pix

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
      On Mon, June 30, 2008 4:40 pm, scott gates wrote:

      > So did you have any surviving tools to base the sizes off of?
      > Or did you base them on scale considering the size of an average French
      > craftsman of the time? That planer looks like once you have learned that
      > shallow is the only to way to use it, it might be very efficient. It
      > certainly is a beautiful piece of work.

      Thank you! It was a fun project, and I'm looking forward to doing the
      smaller plane. I think that will be more challenging even though easier
      to pick up--the front tapers to make the horn, and I haven't done that
      sort of spiral carving. I've already made the iron--of course, that's the
      easy part! :-)

      Surviving tools seem to be all sorts of sizes, within the limits of human
      hands of course. This jointer plane is pushing those limits, IMHO.

      I'm taking all my sizes off the artwork. Look at his hand width--that
      plane is wider, perhaps half again as wide. So I called that five inches.
      The length is from his elbow-to-fingertip distance. ISTR that medieval
      Frenchmen averaged a little smaller than I am, but the plane is about as
      big on me as the one in the picture is on him, or perhaps slightly
      smaller.

      Ulfhedinn
    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 3, 2008
        That's a great looking plane and drill, Ulfhedinn. I'm a woodworker
        who's been looking at getting into blacksmithing from a toolmaking
        side. My intent has been to do the exact same project you are working
        on (curses, scooped again!).

        Jeff J./(SCA)Geoff B.

      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2008
          On Thu, July 3, 2008 2:42 pm, Jeff Johnson wrote:
          > That's a great looking plane and drill, Ulfhedinn. I'm a woodworker
          > who's been looking at getting into blacksmithing from a toolmaking side. My
          > intent has been to do the exact same project you are working on (curses,
          > scooped again!).

          Thanks for the kind words. Of course, you could say we'd both been
          scooped about 500 years ago by one or more French craftsmen, but that kind
          of goes with replication!

          I don't see how the world would be harmed by two good sets of these tools,
          either. Especially if we live on opposite sides of the continent or
          something like that. OTOH, if you live nearby, perhaps we could
          collaborate. I'm a long way from finished on this, and knowing me it
          could take years.

          Speaking of collaboration, I'd welcome a chance to brainstorm details of
          this drawing with someone who shares my interest in it. Some of my
          interpretations are guesswork, and someone else might have an very useful
          insight I haven't thought of myself.

          Also, I've been working from a full-page B&W illo in the Metropolitan
          Museum's _Secular Spirit_ book. I know the original was in color; I've
          seen a small version on the Net, but haven't been able to find a high-res
          copy. If you have or can find such a thing, it might settle several
          questions I've had about materials, construction details, etc.

          If you go ahead making some of these tools yourself, I'd be glad to share
          details of what I've already done, if that would be helpful. A book I
          found extremely helpful was Alan Moore and Musaemura Sithole's _How to
          Make Carpentry Tools_, Intermediate Technology Publications ltd, London,
          1997. The ISBN is 1-85339-406-8 and you can order it online from Powells
          Books in Portland.

          They also have a companion volume, _Basic Blacksmithing_, by Harries and
          Heer. These are some of the best how-tos I've ever read--they include
          _all_ the steps in a way most books do not. They are written for village
          development teachers in Africa, and they assume that all wood needs to be
          sized and squared, and that all metal is scrounged not bought. They
          casually mention the use of old motor oil for a quench "if it is available
          in your area" and say the same thing about old oil drums. Have you ever
          been so far out in the boondocks that they don't have old oil drums? Or
          motor vehicles of any kind? Their first illustration of how to make a
          bellows shows a goat carcass hung up with a rope, and marked to show where
          you cut the skin. The skin is filled with sand and hung up in the sun,
          rubbed with vegetable oil and tenderized with a stick. When they say
          "basic" they really mean it.

          Another useful book is _Wooden Planes and how to Make Them_, by Perch and
          Lee, Algrove Publishing, Almonte, Ontario, 2001. ISBN 1-894572-49-1.

          Farid ther vel ok heill,

          Ulfhedinn
        • Jeff Johnson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 4, 2008
            Ulfhedinn

            Thanks for the pointers. I've picked up a couple of plane books and a
            friend is going to teach me smithing at his place, but I'll pick up
            the books you mention to help get going. I plan on taking years on
            this project as well.

            I suspect that you are correct about not being the first to do this
            project. And we certainly don't conflict, with me being in Maryland.
            As with the Mastermyr chest, it's enticing in it's completeness. I can
            help with getting a better image. Here's a link to a place that sells
            copies of the image:

            http://tiny.cc/93a86

            My wife bought me a small poster from this place last year. I might be
            able to scan some portions of it for better study.

            Regards,

            Jeff/Geoff