Re: [MedievalSawdust] URL doesn't work for me - was - Bourdichon Shop replica tool pix

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
      On Mon, June 30, 2008 3:25 pm, Wolf wrote:
      > http://www.freewebs.com/ulfhedins/index-2.htm
      >

      > (there's a few random spaces that get in the way <g>)
      >

      > Wolf

      Thanks, Wolf. Dunno why those spaces were there--I don't think I typed
      them. But my partner's computer sometimes gives you messages with these
      little extras!

      Ulfhedinn
    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
        On Mon, June 30, 2008 4:40 pm, scott gates wrote:

        > So did you have any surviving tools to base the sizes off of?
        > Or did you base them on scale considering the size of an average French
        > craftsman of the time? That planer looks like once you have learned that
        > shallow is the only to way to use it, it might be very efficient. It
        > certainly is a beautiful piece of work.

        Thank you! It was a fun project, and I'm looking forward to doing the
        smaller plane. I think that will be more challenging even though easier
        to pick up--the front tapers to make the horn, and I haven't done that
        sort of spiral carving. I've already made the iron--of course, that's the
        easy part! :-)

        Surviving tools seem to be all sorts of sizes, within the limits of human
        hands of course. This jointer plane is pushing those limits, IMHO.

        I'm taking all my sizes off the artwork. Look at his hand width--that
        plane is wider, perhaps half again as wide. So I called that five inches.
        The length is from his elbow-to-fingertip distance. ISTR that medieval
        Frenchmen averaged a little smaller than I am, but the plane is about as
        big on me as the one in the picture is on him, or perhaps slightly
        smaller.

        Ulfhedinn
      • Jeff Johnson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2008
          That's a great looking plane and drill, Ulfhedinn. I'm a woodworker
          who's been looking at getting into blacksmithing from a toolmaking
          side. My intent has been to do the exact same project you are working
          on (curses, scooped again!).

          Jeff J./(SCA)Geoff B.

        • conradh@efn.org
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3, 2008
            On Thu, July 3, 2008 2:42 pm, Jeff Johnson wrote:
            > That's a great looking plane and drill, Ulfhedinn. I'm a woodworker
            > who's been looking at getting into blacksmithing from a toolmaking side. My
            > intent has been to do the exact same project you are working on (curses,
            > scooped again!).

            Thanks for the kind words. Of course, you could say we'd both been
            scooped about 500 years ago by one or more French craftsmen, but that kind
            of goes with replication!

            I don't see how the world would be harmed by two good sets of these tools,
            either. Especially if we live on opposite sides of the continent or
            something like that. OTOH, if you live nearby, perhaps we could
            collaborate. I'm a long way from finished on this, and knowing me it
            could take years.

            Speaking of collaboration, I'd welcome a chance to brainstorm details of
            this drawing with someone who shares my interest in it. Some of my
            interpretations are guesswork, and someone else might have an very useful
            insight I haven't thought of myself.

            Also, I've been working from a full-page B&W illo in the Metropolitan
            Museum's _Secular Spirit_ book. I know the original was in color; I've
            seen a small version on the Net, but haven't been able to find a high-res
            copy. If you have or can find such a thing, it might settle several
            questions I've had about materials, construction details, etc.

            If you go ahead making some of these tools yourself, I'd be glad to share
            details of what I've already done, if that would be helpful. A book I
            found extremely helpful was Alan Moore and Musaemura Sithole's _How to
            Make Carpentry Tools_, Intermediate Technology Publications ltd, London,
            1997. The ISBN is 1-85339-406-8 and you can order it online from Powells
            Books in Portland.

            They also have a companion volume, _Basic Blacksmithing_, by Harries and
            Heer. These are some of the best how-tos I've ever read--they include
            _all_ the steps in a way most books do not. They are written for village
            development teachers in Africa, and they assume that all wood needs to be
            sized and squared, and that all metal is scrounged not bought. They
            casually mention the use of old motor oil for a quench "if it is available
            in your area" and say the same thing about old oil drums. Have you ever
            been so far out in the boondocks that they don't have old oil drums? Or
            motor vehicles of any kind? Their first illustration of how to make a
            bellows shows a goat carcass hung up with a rope, and marked to show where
            you cut the skin. The skin is filled with sand and hung up in the sun,
            rubbed with vegetable oil and tenderized with a stick. When they say
            "basic" they really mean it.

            Another useful book is _Wooden Planes and how to Make Them_, by Perch and
            Lee, Algrove Publishing, Almonte, Ontario, 2001. ISBN 1-894572-49-1.

            Farid ther vel ok heill,

            Ulfhedinn
          • Jeff Johnson
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 4, 2008
              Ulfhedinn

              Thanks for the pointers. I've picked up a couple of plane books and a
              friend is going to teach me smithing at his place, but I'll pick up
              the books you mention to help get going. I plan on taking years on
              this project as well.

              I suspect that you are correct about not being the first to do this
              project. And we certainly don't conflict, with me being in Maryland.
              As with the Mastermyr chest, it's enticing in it's completeness. I can
              help with getting a better image. Here's a link to a place that sells
              copies of the image:

              http://tiny.cc/93a86

              My wife bought me a small poster from this place last year. I might be
              able to scan some portions of it for better study.

              Regards,

              Jeff/Geoff